Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

new vt alternator buit alt. light still comes on.

jindy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exect.wagon
The alternator light on my 98 VT 215,000k was coming on after about 10 minutes of driving.When I switched off the motor for a while and started driving again it would stay off for about another 10 - 15 minutes and then come back on again. Somedays it never came on at all, even after 40 minutes of driving.

So I sprang for a new OEM alternator Bosch 100 amp. the exact replacement for my original one, and it ran for ten minutes but the damn alternator (not battery ) light came on again.

I checked out the forum, but the only similar experiences seem to involve the bat. charging light.My bat.charging light is normal and does not come on while driving.

I ran the computer thingy and it was 19, which is the fuel sensor, and which I knew I had a bit of problem even though I cleaned the hell out of it all and especially the throttle plate etc. It did run much smoother, in fact it ran as good as it ever did so I was surprised that this was still a problem.
Back to the alternator though - anyone have any ideas?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Check the connections at the alternator and the earth connections, make sure they are clean and tight.

jindy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exect.wagon
Yeah thanks accentstencil. I just installed the brand new alt.yesterday and everything is clean.
I just can't figure out what else it can be.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
19 Throttle position sensor (sticking open)
how to check codes if need
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...9510-checking-error-codes-vt-vx-car-pics-.jpg
list of codes
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vt-vx.23665

that code is for the tps sensor not reading that its closed or it isnt closed
check the screw for throttle plate hasnt been adjusted so plate doesnt close all the way
else likely needs new tps

fuel level sensor? dont think you have right code description there

jindy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exect.wagon
Good question Wamboin. In all the years that I have owned this VT this light has never come on when the motor ws running. So when it came on I checked the alt. and when I found it was not charging I assumed it was the alt.light,but in fact it was the engine warning light - it seems I have 2 seperate problems at the same time.Charging and TPS.

Yeah db, iI have read the code 6 times and it definately is 19. I was just calling it by the wrong name.
I did clean the TPS and throttle body out as I posted earlier and it made a terrific difference.Good as new,so i was surprised that the light came back on again. Anyway I will chech the throttle position as you have suggested and then I will be taking it to my mechanic today and see what he has to say if still a problem Thanks all for your help.