Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Walkinshaw W407 Package coming soon

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Not sure of the spec's Walkinshaw cam is using, but I had a Harrop H02 (224/232 114) cam fitted to my W375 (auto) a couple of months ago and after a proper tune got 320RWKW. I'd guess this W407 would achieve similar results.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Not sure of the spec's Walkinshaw cam is using, but I had a Harrop H02 (224/232 114) cam fitted to my W375 (auto) a couple of months ago and after a proper tune got 320RWKW. I'd guess this W407 would achieve similar results.

Hey Oz how you finding its manners with the auto? Have you improved low down response at all with the cam? Any footage at idle?

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Hey Oz, do you know what the intake centreline is on that cam or, putting it another way, how much advance they have ground into it if any? Whats your drivability like under 2000rpm on light throttle? Any surging?

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Hey Jarp & Foggsy;
When I picked it up from Harrop I had a dyno (their hub dyno) reading of 336RWKW, and it would surge slightly when coming to a stop, and felt a little slower under 2,500RPM, over that and she had a definite gain. I wasn't overly impressed with the tune, especially the excessive fuel smell at idle. I expected some extra smell, but this was horrible.
Because of this I went to a reputable tuner APS Frankston and asked them to do a proper, custom tune and what a difference! Torque is up right off idle, which feels great by the seat of the pants and even though dyno numbers are down (320RWKW), it now feels a lot stronger across the range. No more low speed surging and the fuel smell is much better.
My recommendation to anyone looking at getting the W407, is have some cash set aside to have it properly tuned, as Walkinshaw use a generic "flash" tune, and don't custom tune on a dyno. I'll post a dyno sheet a bit later.

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
IMG_1183_zpsupv67v9v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
OzTurtle, I'm sure you know that dyno readings are only for comparison on the same dyno on the same day ... your peak "number" may be down, but that doesn't mean that you're not actually putting more actual power down to the road since the proper tune. :)

Last edited:

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
Hey Forg;
After this tune I came to the conclusion that dyno numbers, are just that. Numbers for bragging rights at the pub, which is why I never bothered about "losing" 16KW, from 1 dyno to another. But will give people considering the W407 package an idea to what to expect. After the retune, the car feels more alive especially down low, now to consider changing diff gears....

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
So what would 407 at the flywheel equal at the wheels?

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Thanks Oz,

Harrop use a hub dyno and most other places use the rolling road (chassis dyno) so to speak. Its probably making similar power on both dynos but its essentially measured at different places e.g. hub vs tyres so you'd expect a lower reading on the chassis dyno. As you said, nothing to worry about anyway.

When a tuner either can't fix an issue or doesn't care or doesn't want to put the time into it (particularly idle/cold idle/drivability under 2000rpm) they just add more fuel to mask the issue as best they can and hand you the car back and say its tuned. You end up with exactly what you had from harrop. I copped exactly the same thing from Oztrack in Sydney - rich as F*&k at idle and under 2000 and lean as F**k everywhere else.

I think I need to take a trip to Frankston.....