Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New way to do "Road Works" in the 21st Century

Isaac

Cool Guy
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria/Lyndoch, South Australia
Members Ride
D22 Navara
For Brisbane and Se Qld in anyone night Have 20 manned police cars sitting at various road works on the highway with lights flashing doing nothing and then have the Police force say they are undermaned and under resoureced to fight crime

I remember Christmas time I had to goto the airport to pick up my brothers on two consecutive days, first day drove through roadworks and the cop was sitting there lights flashing fast asleep, and then the next day, exact same copper, fast asleep again! what a joke!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
For Brisbane and Se Qld in anyone night Have 20 manned police cars sitting at various road works on the highway with lights flashing doing nothing and then have the Police force say they are undermaned and under resoureced to fight crime

When a cop is doing the roadwork jobs he/she is not on rostered hours. These are counted as specials, paid for by the roadworks companies. Not using any police resources except the cars and most stations have more than enough.

So these jobs are sort of extra shifts for the cops. But yes they can still do extra stuff like speed traps and what-not while doing this.

But I agree that being asleep while doing this is irresponsible.

ascottaudio

AscottAudio
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8
Another one that REALLY bugs me.

Putting speed bumps in 40 and 50k zones that make you slow down to like 5k's cos they are so ****** big !

Surly it would make more sense to make the speed bump to a height that would slow the average car to the approximate speed of the zone !

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Another one that REALLY bugs me.

Putting speed bumps in 40 and 50k zones that make you slow down to like 5k's cos they are so ****** big !

Surly it would make more sense to make the speed bump to a height that would slow the average car to the approximate speed of the zone !

Why? People should obey the law. If they're going faster than the speed limit then they're breaking the law. If there are speed humps it's to FORCE speeders to slow down. I think speed humps in suburban streets are a great idea!

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Why? People should obey the law. If they're going faster than the speed limit then they're breaking the law. If there are speed humps it's to FORCE speeders to slow down. I think speed humps in suburban streets are a great idea!

That's not the point he is making though. He is wondering why, if the limit is 40kmh, do they install speed bumps that force you to slow right down to 5-10kmh, instead of bumps you can take at 40kmh. Of course, if it can be taken safely at 40kmh, it can be taken unsafely at 80 without guarantee of damage or injury, so it wouldn't be much use. I guess this would be the reason. The point ascott is making though is that effectively it's lowering the speed limit for the period before the bump to 5kmh, instead of keeping it at the posted 40kmh.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
When a cop is doing the roadwork jobs he/she is not on rostered hours. These are counted as specials, paid for by the roadworks companies. Not using any police resources except the cars and most stations have more than enough.

So these jobs are sort of extra shifts for the cops. But yes they can still do extra stuff like speed traps and what-not while doing this.

But I agree that being asleep while doing this is irresponsible.

My point is they keep saying they are under staffed and under resourced but they can find extra cars and officers as long as they are not paying

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
My point is they keep saying they are under staffed and under resourced but they can find extra cars and officers as long as they are not paying

They have more than enough cars, so thats never a problem, if they can't spare a car than the extra's won't be done, regular patrols ALWAYS get first pick.

And cops get days off just like everyone else, if they choose to do some extra work for some extra cash than that is there choice isn't it?