Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New wheels for Tuckerbag

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Holden was wholly Australian owned until 1931 when GM bought it, but has existed as a company since it's founding in 1856 when it made saddlery products. But to be fair, it didn't get into the automotive manufacturing business until around the time GM acquired it.

I didn't know any of this till I looked it up!

I already knew this, but didn't think it was relevant bring up about the saddle making side of things, when we are referring about the automotive side of it

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
ZB is too good for a young-un. Let him drive the VP and keep the ZB for yourself :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Bloody hell you holden salesmen get ragged up easily ay

You sound like the person I offered $10 for his VP and promptly let fly with a heap of abuse.....

Seriously, I look at the market place as a whole, not with blinkers on like yourself....I'm annoyed car manufacturing has closed down in this country, just as much as the next person....Hell, I know a heap of people that worked for Holden when they shut their doors....

You have to look at what the market wants and see what is getting around to realise the days of the cheapish rear wheel drive V8 is loong gone

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes …. That is my point. Someone, sometime, somewhere should have realised that the Australian taxpayer have ‘bought’ the rights to the land, factories, and equipment, and wielded a big stick at Ford and GM, then handed the whole shebang to ……… I dunno, Twiggy Forrest, Kerry Packer, Clive Palmer ……………... and told them to make an all Australian auto industry. It may even have worked, couldn’t do any worse than at present.
But, you, and I, as individuals, cannot do anything about it.
This country has been sold down the drain for decades by Federal Govts, State Govts, and profit seeking ‘rich bastards’ who can buy favours from people with powerful friends.
The Qld Govt under Bjelke-Petersen operated on ‘cash in brown paper bags’, the NSW Labor Party has updated that to ‘cash in plastic shopping bags’ ……. corruption to the max.
Unless you are one of ‘them’ mentioned above, you are stuck with what you get.
Since when has the water in the Murray/Darling rivers been owned by overseas interests, and how was that allowed to happen ?
Now the NSW Liberal Party has denied that it is going to sell the forests. It must be running out of public assets to sell.
Fark me, what next ? This is getting to be a repetitious political rant.

Some of the issues related to car manufacturing going down the gurgler, doesn't fall onto the gov't....It falls onto the bloody unions and workers, wanting the big pay packet for some of the easiest jobs going in the place.....

Back in 1995 (or there abouts), Holden were paying a worker $900 per week just to use a spot welder to place 5 or 6 spot welds in the boot floor of 250 to 300 VR/VS's per day....Now how the hell can you justify paying that sort of coin to an employee,(and that's deliberate wording, because you can't call them a worker) for doing such a pee easy job....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Back in 1995 (or there abouts), Holden were paying a worker $900 per week just to use a spot welder to place 5 or 6 spot welds in the boot floor of 250 to 300 VR/VS's per day....Now how the hell can you justify paying that sort of coin to an employee,(and that's deliberate wording, because you can't call them a worker) for doing such a pee easy job....

At up to 9,000 welds per 5 day week, that is $0.10 per weld. Pretty cheap.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Fair for who ?
When it represents market value for both parties.
But more importantly for me, if I bought it for the kids.

Last edited: