Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New XR8 vs VF SSV/Redline for price

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Does anyone have an idea as to what the new XR8 will be selling for? The few articles ive read say it may be 45-50k which for the powerplant is quite attractive for some I guess, Considering the power figures are well more then the current 260/270kw Redline would this encourage either a price check for the redline or maybe the 6.2lt SSV that has been hinted at before for the My15 update,

Your thoughts?

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Does anyone have an idea as to what the new XR8 will be selling for? The few articles ive read say it may be 45-50k which for the powerplant is quite attractive for some I guess, Considering the power figures are well more then the current 260/270kw Redline would this encourage either a price check for the redline or maybe the 6.2lt SSV that has been hinted at before for the My15 update,

Your thoughts?

Yep, Ford near me quoted me a 'tentative price' of 55k drive away, with leather and sat nav. That being said, this was 4 months ago when I bought my Redline, and the salesman admitted that even though I'd be paying a deposit on a 'tentative' price, their was no gaurantee or confirmation that the price agreed to was going to be accurate.

IMO all you would be buying is an FG XR8 with a 335kw coyote motor, which is one sexy peice of machinery!

Much more power than our SS's however the suspension is dated, the brakes are dated, the interior is very very very dated, and even the ZF 6 speed gearbox lacks innovation and is a bit of a slug compared to the TR6060 in the VF.

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
i couldnt deal with that interior, i couldnt deal with that trans.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yep, Ford near me quoted me a 'tentative price' of 55k drive away, with leather and sat nav. That being said, this was 4 months ago when I bought my Redline, and the salesman admitted that even though I'd be paying a deposit on a 'tentative' price, their was no gaurantee or confirmation that the price agreed to was going to be accurate.

IMO all you would be buying is an FG XR8 with a 335kw coyote motor, which is one sexy peice of machinery!

Much more power than our SS's however the suspension is dated, the brakes are dated, the interior is very very very dated, and even the ZF 6 speed gearbox lacks innovation and is a bit of a slug compared to the TR6060 in the VF.
Why are you comparing an auto to a manual? The FG runs the TR6060, it actually had it before the Holden.
They both run an IRS rear end, the front end in the FG is a double control arm vs MacPherson in the Holden...................I know which is more 'dated'.
Brembo's are dated?

I like both cars, just can't stand one eyed people talking rubbish.

bretto86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Haha, was wondering the same.
& I love a manual box but in a straight line the auto will generally be quicker.
& when it comes to Holdens auto vs Fords I have to say the ZF box that Ford run is likely a better unit.

I rebuild them for a living & while they have small inherent problems they are a great piece of gear...
Run in BMW, Jaguar, Bentley & many others

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
in a nutshell, for me anyway,

good
2014-Ford-Falcon-XR8.jpg

Bad
2015-ford-falcon-interior-1.jpg

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
in a nutshell, for me anyway,

good
2014-Ford-Falcon-XR8.jpg

Bad
2015-ford-falcon-interior-1.jpg
That's the FG interior and the new model exterior. Might as well put pics of a VE Series I interior with a VF, same deal.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
Interior is going to be tweaked, likely get Ford Sync. Will look much better than FG, not likely to get all the gadgets of the VF (self park, cross traffic radar, electric steering etc) but it's going to be a bang for your bucks type of car.
If they release a "budget" priced XR8 I will seriously look at one.
Haven't heard many people bag the ZF transmission, mighty fine piece of gear (if you keep the engine coolant out of the transmission).

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Up until late last year when I bought the Redline, I have always driven Fords.
To me, the only good things about the "new" Falcon are the engine and the transmission, both of which are better than what I have now.
The car overall is still very dated and I wouldn't buy one.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Why are you comparing an auto to a manual? The FG runs the TR6060, it actually had it before the Holden.
They both run an IRS rear end, the front end in the FG is a double control arm vs MacPherson in the Holden...................I know which is more 'dated'.
Brembo's are dated?

I like both cars, just can't stand one eyed people talking rubbish.

You're right, I did get the gearbox wrong, one eyed however, no.

My second last car was an FG mk 2 XR6 (sorry no turbo), and in direct comparison without getting technical as I have NFI what the difference between a double control arm or MacPherson strut is. I can say having owned both - not just one, that the redline is sharper and has more feel with the suspension, much more feel and power in the brakes, and the automatic gearbox whatever the code is, is a lot lot lot lot better than the ZF6 speed I had in my XR6 - which broke and seized in first gear, and Ford said to me that they had a 15% failure rate, despite being used in other cars.

You also fail to mention anything other than my technical ineptitude, is the interior up to par with even the VE? Nope, anyone who's owned both knows that.

Does a one eyed person call the coyote a sexy piece of machinery?

Seems to me that you sir, may be the one eyed person.

I've owned both - you haven't, so go research whatever you like, but I have the drivers perspective and the redline far exceeds the FG XR range.