Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Zealand's new Holden ZB Commodore police cars spotted

Discussion in 'ZB Holden Commodore (2018)' started by immortality, Feb 21, 2018.

1. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    New Zealand's new Holden ZB Commodore police cars spotted

[​IMG]

As Holden's Australian production 'situation' started to unfold in 2015, the confirmation that they would retain their deal with the New Zealand Police for another five years was confirmed.

It had been thought that the introduction of an impending new car would open the floodgates for other manufacturers to put their hands up as potential replacements, but any hopes of rear-wheel drive Ford Mustangs or Kia Stingers dressed up in cop-car uniform were short lived.

Fast forward to this post-Commodore VF world, and the first ZB Commodore police cars appear to be primed for release according to the attached photos.

Driven reader Erwin van Maanen recently spotted two ZB Commodore police cars in Tauranga. The pair of cars were sharing a transporter with a Holden Colorado, without any form of cover or camouflage.

[​IMG]

Like the current fleet of VFs, the Commodores appear to be available as both a sedan (well, liftback) and as a sportwagon. It's difficult to tell, but judging by the wheel set both models appear to be turbocharged four-cylinder LT-spec models — though one would expect to see the quicker VXR V6 make an appearance in the highway fleet.

With the embargo recently lifting for driving impressions on the ZB, you'll no doubt have been bombarded with stories about the new global platform. In addition to that, local pricing was recently confirmed too, with the cheapest entry level liftback setting buyers back $45,990.

No, it's not the charming rear-wheel drive V8 it used to be, but nonetheless the ZB has impressed plenty of critics through the first wave of its roll out. Although test vehicles have been hiding in plain sight on New Zealand's roads since November last year, those interested in getting a sniff of the ZB in person will have to wait until next month for them to pop up in Holden showrooms.

Perhaps our boys and girls in blue will get their hands on them in March, too.

It'll be an interesting test with those hoons (oops, I mean the cops) behind the wheel of these new cars. Will be a good hardware test.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    commodore665 likes this.
  2. figjam

figjam Donating Member

Members Ride:
    Monaro CV8, Cross 6 Crewman, Territory Ghia.
    Are NZ Commodores coming from Germany via Oz, ie double handling, or direct from the 'fatherland' ?

3. immortality

Members Ride:
    Sorry, no idea mate.

4. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
    I sink from ze Farter land ,

immortality likes this.
  5. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars
    That wagon doesn't look to bad from behind.

6. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Oh dear, the Mazda 6 is finally upon us.

7. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    Zoom zoom zoom

8. immortality

Members Ride:
    Zoom zoom boom?

9. vc commodore

vc commodore Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vc commodore
    In S.A, we have the KIA Serento AWD.....Yippie...

10. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    When I joined the NZ police in 2000 , we had some VS and the VT S pack , and a few AU Falcons which were truly horrid in every way from looks , to way they drove as well , moving on to every model Holden up to VF , when I had SV6 in mufti , shortly before I retired , the best ones were the VZ SV6 and the VE series II SV 6 , in my own opinion , it’ll be interesting to see what my former colleagues say about the ZB Commodore when they get rolled out to Police , it would have been good if they purchased what we had sometimes used in South Africa , BMW 530 and 540 as Police cars , some in M series . They were good .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  11. immortality

Members Ride:
    How much extra weight you recon the average cop car carries compared to your standard SV6?

12. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Probably no more than 150-200

13. immortality

Members Ride:
    It'll be interesting to see how that goes. Even with the V6 Commodores you start to feel it when you have a couple of passengers in the car and I can only imagine that will get worse with the smaller 4 cylinder cars been used for police duties, means they will be getting up into boost a lot more to get it moving. Only the highway patrol seem to get the larger capacity engines.

14. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Police around the world have been using smaller capacity engines than a V6 Commodore for years. It will be fine.

commodore665 likes this.
  15. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    I didn't like the base model Omega , and Evoke 3.0 V6 general duties police cars , they were a bit under powered , and with a couple of wallopers and all the extra gear in the back they struggled somewhat and sounded like a asthmatic breathing through a hose at high revs , keep in mind though that in NZ , Highway Cars were SV6 's and they were usually single manned , but still had a fair bit in the boot , but the UK police have used Vauxhall Astra diesels as part of their fleet , aside from the BMW , and Volvo highway cars . Time will tell , how these new ones go , NZ members will see them on the roads in highway livery and general duties colours soon enough .

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    immortality likes this.
  16. immortality

Members Ride:
    Fairly much exactly my point. Diesels would do well as they have gobs of torque right where it's needed.

I think there are already some on the Auckland roads.

The biggest hoons coming down my street are coppers and even the V6's sound pathetic at high revs, asthmatic breathing through a straw is about spot on.

Yep but mostly in smaller cars too. Full size sedans may well be a different story. NZ also doesn't have nice flat straight roads, we never get the same economy as you Aussies get in the same cars.

17. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:

Doesn't surprise me to hear that about speeding police cars , some of them bring a new meaning to drive it like you stole it. I was somewhat more pedantic , and drove it like I'd paid for it , which I sort of did , with my taxes , as did you .

18. immortality

Members Ride:
    I'm fairly certain cops have limits to how much they are allowed to exceed set speed limits? I know that if I was caught going as fast as they do sometimes down our street it would be an instant loss of license. We also have a primary school just up around the corner from us with little ones walking up and down the street at the relevant times....

The local cop shop is about 5 minutes up the road from us (at road legal speeds) and the bridge down the road from us is the only bridge over the motorway going in an easterly direction, the other routs would add 5-10 minutes to reach the same destination. The council installed traffic islands on our street to reduce speeding but it really hasn't had much effect other than flat tyres for those who can't seem to avoid hitting em. They can't put in speed humps because it is also a bus route but the way the traffic islands are positioned it makes it really awkward to take the slight bend at the bottom of the street without going onto the wrong side of the road and you need to also watch out for traffic turnout out of a side street on the same corner. I'm really surprised we've never had a crash down there.

Maybe the new patrol cars will be a blessing in disguise, they won't be able to speed as much....

19. commodore665

commodore665 expat Saffa

Members Ride:
    yep , with the blues and reds on they can exceed the limits , but must obey the rules other wise , the council out my way have built traffic islands too , but have also painted red strips on the road in places , you'd be amazed how well these work to slow down cars , as they look from a distance like a speed bump / judder bar .

20. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    I knew NZ was behind the times but surely the shock absorber has made its way over there by now? :D

This video popped up randomly on my FB timeline which i thought was quite apt for the current discussion.

VS 5.0 likes this.