Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Zealand's new Holden ZB Commodore police cars spotted

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How much extra weight you recon the average cop car carries compared to your standard SV6?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It'll be interesting to see how that goes. Even with the V6 Commodores you start to feel it when you have a couple of passengers in the car and I can only imagine that will get worse with the smaller 4 cylinder cars been used for police duties, means they will be getting up into boost a lot more to get it moving. Only the highway patrol seem to get the larger capacity engines.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
It'll be interesting to see how that goes. Even with the V6 Commodores you start to feel it when you have a couple of passengers in the car and I can only imagine that will get worse with the smaller 4 cylinder cars been used for police duties, means they will be getting up into boost a lot more to get it moving. Only the highway patrol seem to get the larger capacity engines.
Police around the world have been using smaller capacity engines than a V6 Commodore for years. It will be fine.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6

I didn't like the base model Omega , and Evoke 3.0 V6 general duties police cars , they were a bit under powered , and with a couple of wallopers and all the extra gear in the back they struggled somewhat and sounded like a asthmatic breathing through a hose at high revs , keep in mind though that in NZ , Highway Cars were SV6 's and they were usually single manned , but still had a fair bit in the boot , but the UK police have used Vauxhall Astra diesels as part of their fleet , aside from the BMW , and Volvo highway cars . Time will tell , how these new ones go , NZ members will see them on the roads in highway livery and general duties colours soon enough .

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn't like the base model Omega , and Evoke 3.0 V6 general duties police cars , they were a bit under powered , and with a couple of wallopers and all the extra gear in the back they struggled somewhat and sounded like a asthmatic breathing through a hose at high revs , but the UK police have used Vauxhall Astra diesels as part of their fleet , aside from the BMW , and Volvo highway cars . Time will tell , how these new ones go , NZ members will see them on the roads in highway livery and general duties colours soon enough .

Fairly much exactly my point. Diesels would do well as they have gobs of torque right where it's needed.

I think there are already some on the Auckland roads.

The biggest hoons coming down my street are coppers and even the V6's sound pathetic at high revs, asthmatic breathing through a straw is about spot on.

Police around the world have been using smaller capacity engines than a V6 Commodore for years. It will be fine.

Yep but mostly in smaller cars too. Full size sedans may well be a different story. NZ also doesn't have nice flat straight roads, we never get the same economy as you Aussies get in the same cars.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairly much exactly my point. Diesels would do well as they have gobs of torque right where it's needed.

I think there are already some on the Auckland roads.

The biggest hoons coming down my street are coppers and even the V6's sound pathetic at high revs, asthmatic breathing through a straw is about spot on.

Yep but mostly in smaller cars too. Full size sedans may well be a different story. NZ also doesn't have nice flat straight roads, we never get the same economy as you Aussies get in the same cars.

Doesn't surprise me to hear that about speeding police cars , some of them bring a new meaning to drive it like you stole it. I was somewhat more pedantic , and drove it like I'd paid for it , which I sort of did , with my taxes , as did you .

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm fairly certain cops have limits to how much they are allowed to exceed set speed limits? I know that if I was caught going as fast as they do sometimes down our street it would be an instant loss of license. We also have a primary school just up around the corner from us with little ones walking up and down the street at the relevant times....

The local cop shop is about 5 minutes up the road from us (at road legal speeds) and the bridge down the road from us is the only bridge over the motorway going in an easterly direction, the other routs would add 5-10 minutes to reach the same destination. The council installed traffic islands on our street to reduce speeding but it really hasn't had much effect other than flat tyres for those who can't seem to avoid hitting em. They can't put in speed humps because it is also a bus route but the way the traffic islands are positioned it makes it really awkward to take the slight bend at the bottom of the street without going onto the wrong side of the road and you need to also watch out for traffic turnout out of a side street on the same corner. I'm really surprised we've never had a crash down there.

Maybe the new patrol cars will be a blessing in disguise, they won't be able to speed as much....

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm fairly certain cops have limits to how much they are allowed to exceed set speed limits? I know that if I was caught going as fast as they do sometimes down our street it would be an instant loss of license. We also have a primary school just up around the corner from us with little ones walking up and down the street at the relevant times....

The local cop shop is about 5 minutes up the road from us (at road legal speeds) and the bridge down the road from us is the only bridge over the motorway going in an easterly direction, the other routs would add 5-10 minutes to reach the same destination. The council installed traffic islands on our street to reduce speeding but it really hasn't had much effect other than flat tyres for those who can't seem to avoid hitting em. They can't put in speed humps because it is also a bus route but the way the traffic islands are positioned it makes it really awkward to take the slight bend at the bottom of the street without going onto the wrong side of the road and you need to also watch out for traffic turnout out of a side street on the same corner. I'm really surprised we've never had a crash down there.

Maybe the new patrol cars will be a blessing in disguise, they won't be able to speed as much....

yep , with the blues and reds on they can exceed the limits , but must obey the rules other wise , the council out my way have built traffic islands too , but have also painted red strips on the road in places , you'd be amazed how well these work to slow down cars , as they look from a distance like a speed bump / judder bar .

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride