Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Zealand's new Holden ZB Commodore police cars spotted

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
New Zealand's new Holden ZB Commodore police cars spotted

28217794_10212971469054493_408405654_o.jpg

As Holden's Australian production 'situation' started to unfold in 2015, the confirmation that they would retain their deal with the New Zealand Police for another five years was confirmed.

It had been thought that the introduction of an impending new car would open the floodgates for other manufacturers to put their hands up as potential replacements, but any hopes of rear-wheel drive Ford Mustangs or Kia Stingers dressed up in cop-car uniform were short lived.

Fast forward to this post-Commodore VF world, and the first ZB Commodore police cars appear to be primed for release according to the attached photos.

Driven reader Erwin van Maanen recently spotted two ZB Commodore police cars in Tauranga. The pair of cars were sharing a transporter with a Holden Colorado, without any form of cover or camouflage.

28278274_10212971470414527_678137549_o.jpg

Like the current fleet of VFs, the Commodores appear to be available as both a sedan (well, liftback) and as a sportwagon. It's difficult to tell, but judging by the wheel set both models appear to be turbocharged four-cylinder LT-spec models — though one would expect to see the quicker VXR V6 make an appearance in the highway fleet.

With the embargo recently lifting for driving impressions on the ZB, you'll no doubt have been bombarded with stories about the new global platform. In addition to that, local pricing was recently confirmed too, with the cheapest entry level liftback setting buyers back $45,990.

No, it's not the charming rear-wheel drive V8 it used to be, but nonetheless the ZB has impressed plenty of critics through the first wave of its roll out. Although test vehicles have been hiding in plain sight on New Zealand's roads since November last year, those interested in getting a sniff of the ZB in person will have to wait until next month for them to pop up in Holden showrooms.

Perhaps our boys and girls in blue will get their hands on them in March, too.

It'll be an interesting test with those hoons (oops, I mean the cops) behind the wheel of these new cars. Will be a good hardware test.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Are NZ Commodores coming from Germany via Oz, ie double handling, or direct from the 'fatherland' ?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry, no idea mate.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Oh dear, the Mazda 6 is finally upon us.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Zoom zoom boom?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
When I joined the NZ police in 2000 , we had some VS and the VT S pack , and a few AU Falcons which were truly horrid in every way from looks , to way they drove as well , moving on to every model Holden up to VF , when I had SV6 in mufti , shortly before I retired , the best ones were the VZ SV6 and the VE series II SV 6 , in my own opinion , it’ll be interesting to see what my former colleagues say about the ZB Commodore when they get rolled out to Police , it would have been good if they purchased what we had sometimes used in South Africa , BMW 530 and 540 as Police cars , some in M series . They were good .

Last edited: