Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
lol i hate to disagree guys, but all the vn's i know of, both flogged and well looked after are not reliable, not cheap to run... id say buy a corolla or something now and then either later when u have more money or fuel prices go down then buy a vn...
i dont want to argue but not all are unreliable, to be honest i find them a very reliable car (well the one's my family have had) and yeah and for reliability my mum had a vn s2 and was an xcompany car, man i luved that car.... nearly 400k and still never let us down and was in the family for 10 years and only thing that stuffed up was the harmonic balancer and the alternator (typical vn problems) and as for economy wellll we filled up the gas tank and we got 1 and half - 2 weeks out of driving from it(and im not exactly easy on the foot), was sad to see that someone smashed it:(:rip: ... but you do get good and bad cars..... like my sister's vn that thing was freaky.... beautiful engine but wasnt on gas and lets just say catch the bus in the economy part of the conversation with that car *rolls eyes*.... maybe thats why ive got a vn now because all of them that my family has had have been reliable and 1 of them was real economic and 1 wasnt hahaha
any ways good luck with your car when you get it and hope it last u a long time:yeah:

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
thats soo true.stocky
its even better when you used to work there and your given almost everything at 80%off hehe.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
nice choice for a first car, good to work on, awesome for a project car, abundant parts (no single item costs over $100 excluding labour) and baggy clothes help at the wreckers ;) *cough* and people wonder why i have 18 memcals :p

ok everything will break BUT THE ENGINE, but thats to be expected from a 15-17 year old car, but nothing a few trips to teh wreckers cant fix, awesome car to learn to fix your self

and if the engine gives way u can get one for $50-100....
mine was trustworthy, when i got her she was a dinged up peice of crap, after many garage hours she was finally nice... till some IDIOT in a ford smashed her :(

dont let anyone tell you do this or do that, im not telling u to get one but they do break so be prepared to fix it yourself or it will cost you more than its worth, dont be afraid to rip her apart :)

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
anyone who says vn's aren't reliable has either driven a thrashed one or thrashed their own. If you give it **** obviously its gunna die in the ass. I have driven some f#cked up vn's but when you look after them they are dream rides. My radiator is original same with most of my engine. Look after your beast and it will look after you money wise...

H

haynze

Got a point, my dad 92 Camry 2.0L has done over 300k and still with original engine, trans, alternator, exhaust, all pumps, etc..its crazy for a 4 cylinder to last that long. And even the shocks are factory.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
dude, that's only half a car :rofl:

AlpineRaven

Reaction score
Bought VN Commodore S - Series 2 Wagon automatic transmission was cracked and was no longer driven, lady owner 45ish 2nd owner, previous owner was one of the managers at GMH Holden in Port Melbourne. Replaced transmission bought one for $125. It was un-registered, paid $250 for stuff to get it rwc enough, got rego for $600. So it was cheap VN. Oh problem with it, the roof lining was saggy so replaced it with VS lining. Added Cruise & Pwr antenna radio, speakers etc. Came out like nice VN wagon below $1000!
Cheers
AP

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
exactly, my brother owns a VN Executive, i drove it today 250km...
my brother HASNT looked after it, shes got 190,000km on the clock and is falling apart,

when drive mine... drives like brand FKN new shes done 275,000km.. spent soo much time maintaing it... if you do the same it'll be good to you.. altho i give mine a good workout reguarly and as expected it breaks, but nothing serious stupid things like over heating due to dead sensors ect... gone thru 3 starter motors due to a few hard knocks... but over all a VERY reliable car... but to be honost if u want something that wont ever break, get a toyota corrolla