Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New

R0d

Reaction score
Members Ride
cammed vu maloo r8
Hello all.. first time posting on here. I am 16 turning 17 just got my log book which wont take long to complete. I was interested in buying a vn as my p plater car, the more basic the better (not interested in body kits as i reckon stock vns are awesome and stock cars are cheaper to insure). I was wondering what price a stock vn would be.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
id say you could pick up a semi decent one for about $700-$1000
and a good one for about $1000-$3000
and you could get a fixer uper for about $200-700
good choice for a first car

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
yep cheap and reliable power that looks good.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Bloody good choice mate :D First up, I'd rekon you should take a good look at the VP series, too. VN and VP are basically the same, although some bugs were ironed out on the series 2 VN, and the VPs. They also have a slightly more sensible radiator setup; and in terms of parts for repairs, they're all interchangable anyway. Take a look at the subtle differences in body style to decide which one you want too. (headlights, boot garnish, badges, window gutters, etc.)

When you inspect the car, have a close look at the little things. See if the roof lining is firm or coming loose, check ALL the door seals and rubbers (give them a good tug to see if they come loose), get a mate check that all the tail-lights illuminate properly, check for water leaks in the boot, and pop under the car and take a look at the sump, to see if it's badly warped. (common problem, but not always critical). something with less than 200,000ks on it is a good buy, but check for service records etc to see if this is the actual distance the car has travelled.

If you're after a car that's been treated well, take a quick look at the back-right tyre, and compare it to the back-left, just to get a quick idea if the last owner's been ripping skids, too ^^ This could mean problems with your tailshaft bearings, diff, and other things down the line.

Also, make sure you test-drive three or four different VN/VPs if you get the chance. They all drive a little differently - you may even find a freak that makes a little bit more power than the others. They're like that.

For a nice specimen, look to pay between 1000-3000 dollars, like xcop said. Be very weary about something cheaper, or unregistered, as it could end up costing you big bucks down the line to get it into roadworthy condition.

Out of interest:
I bought my 1992 VP Executive with 192,000 on the clock, for $2000, unregistered, without rwc. It cost me $1000 to get into roadworthy condition, and $700 for stamp-duty, registration, and plates. All up: $3,700 on the road. I would have gone for something cheaper, but this car came with full service records, was formerly owned by a middle-aged man as a fleet car, and had a reconditioned auto, new alternator, new tyres, new battery, and drove VERY smoothly compared to others I'd driven.

Here's some pics of the condition of the car for that price, as a comparison:

http://premium1.uploadit.org/Fargoth//daniels_car.jpg
http://premium1.uploadit.org/Fargoth//daniels_car2.jpg

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
lol i hate to disagree guys, but all the vn's i know of, both flogged and well looked after are not reliable, not cheap to run... id say buy a corolla or something now and then either later when u have more money or fuel prices go down then buy a vn...

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
lol, my mate John had a corolla. the last RWD version made. manual, too. Cost him $2500 to buy, and $2000 in repairs over the subsequent 12 months. Radiator, diff, clutch... you name it, it broke. Ended up giving it to his sister and buying a civic coupe for $13,000. hehe, I'm on your side though... generally. I tend to think the old corollas are a solid buy. The coronas were good too, if you can find someone who wants to sell one.

True, the VN/VPs are pretty average on fuel, but they're not as bad as a twin-turbo rx7 :D

The best part about a vn/vp, for me anyway, is that parts are so bloody abundant, you can get just about anything you want for a steal. I've freshened up so many interior parts and garnishes etc that it's not funny, and wouldn't have spent more than $100 on the lot.

... what am I trying to say? ... i've been up all night. errr... oh yea. vn/p is a great car if you're going to dive in and do some repairs yourself, but if you're taking it to a mechanic for everything including oil changes, you'll probably end up spending the value of your car within two years :)

</rant>

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
lol i hate to disagree guys, but all the vn's i know of, both flogged and well looked after are not reliable, not cheap to run... id say buy a corolla or something now and then either later when u have more money or fuel prices go down then buy a vn...

Got a point, my dad 92 Camry 2.0L has done over 300k and still with original engine, trans, alternator, exhaust, all pumps, etc..its crazy for a 4 cylinder to last that long. And even the shocks are factory.

But the cars not interesting, very reliable though. If you want some fun, VN's are a good choice, prefer if you buy it with full service or maybe off a pensioner of something, they don't go over 2500 revs when they drive.

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
MMM my VN has been sooo very reliable. i havnt have a single thing go wrong with it. But i have only had it for 1 n half years. but i flog it quite a bit. Its got 265000 on clock.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
The best part about a vn/vp, for me anyway, is that parts are so bloody abundant, you can get just about anything you want for a steal. I've freshened up so many interior parts and garnishes etc that it's not funny, and wouldn't have spent more than $100 on the lot.

quite literally for a steal. a trip to the wreckers with deep pockets can end with lots of little parts that cost nothing