Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newbie engine advice - VE SSV - L98 vs LS3

Barrythegreyhound

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE wagon manual
I'd do original engine or buy replacement engine & rebuild that over time that way can keep driving your car & not off the road.

Lifters are shot n most ls engines with 100k plus..cam not farther behind but bare in mind even after rebuild or ls7 lifters + a cam replacement half of them are still noisey to picky owners.

Yours most likely needs lifters & seals being in 200k range although personally if got the mechanical skills I would just change lifters & keep driving it untill rear main lets go around 250k-300k when it really will need rebuilding lol
this si the advice I've had so far too.

so I'm going to be going crate I think and then keep the original block for a rainy day.....

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Stroker!!!!! hadn't thought about that!
Yep. Big cubed, rev happy small block bundle of joy! Would definitely be the go for me in the future. A nice angry NA engine is so so sweet.

Barrythegreyhound

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE wagon manual
Yep. Big cubed, rev happy small block bundle of joy! Would definitely be the go for me in the future. A nice angry NA engine is so so sweet.
1625710966879.gif
1625710966879.gif

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
If you are mechanically inclined, why not do the lifters and valve springs yourself. You’ll get the see the bores for yourself and you’ll be able to make an informed decision on whether you need to replace/rebuilt the engine. If it’s in reasonably good condition replacing the lifters will probably resolve the ticking, and if it’s worn, new lifters may buy you some time to organise a replacement engine.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Going to be shocked at bill when tallied up haha

H

harrop.senator

If it were me and I didn't have the down time. I'd just be looking for a usable block that span a crank bearing.

Most LS guys won't re grind the cranks in them so if it's marked decently they throw it.

Put an aftermarket crank, rods and pistons in it.

Hit up Higgins , pay a core deposit. Have them send you some CNC street friendly ported heads with a refundable core deposit. Then send them back your heads once it's in.

You may even be able to find a reconditionist that you can buy off with a refundable core deposit and take him your motor once the new ones all in?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
originally an RS350 from Patterson Cheney in Melbourne with an OTR and stainless tubular headers and a PCM tune from new.
Its a sweet rig and they'll have to bury me in it when I die.

Congrats on the purchase. Mine is an RS-327 from Patterson Cheney with an L98 and 200,000kms on the clock (had 185,000kms when I bought it). It will be my forever car as well.

4403FB97-CE8F-41C5-B19D-B933D042968B.jpeg

The motor has a slight tick, I'm assuming its heading down the sad lifter pathway.
Its got 200,000k's on it so I'm expecting its going to need more than just some new lifters and cam swap - more rebuild territory.
Are you just looking for a fix for the lifter issue or are you using this as an excuse to upgrade? :cool:

If your just looking to nip the potential lifter problem in the bud without spending a heap of money just get a cam upgrade from a reputable workshop which should only be about 5-6k or thereabouts. The bottom end would probably go another 200,000kms plus without being touched.

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
“Race Sport”

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L