Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

newbie looking for help please, Shudders and shakes until I reach 40ks then runs sweet

Cazzle-B

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Wagon
Hi all Newbie here needing help please (obviously) ,
I have a vs wagon , about a month ago she lost her guts , drove fine but no kickback when I flattened her , in the last week it sounds like she’s missing when idling then when I take off she just crawls up slowly with a shudder until she reaches between 30-40ks then drives fine but today she has decided to stall ( mainly turning corners ) any idea , I’m leaning towards fuel pump or tps or am I way off the mark ? ( please go easy with technical talk I’m not a total novice but no expert either)
Thanks for Reading

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Sounds like a bad coil. Had a similar thing a few weeks ago with a friend bringing around his VS for me to look at. Idle was a bit rough, take off was crap until about 30km and then ran fine but was lacking a bit of power.
Had some other coils here to swap with and was going to change 1 at a time. Got it first go, it was the 1/6 coil.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
TPS will do something similar. But normally your trans will have issues shifting up and it will feel like it's labouring and will rev a lot before shifting, also you would probably have trouble around 80-100kph with it feeling like the trans is not shifting into 4th and then almost dying or not locking up the TC, almost like its slipping. Would be worth scanning to see if the TPS is faulty because of how old the car is. A second hand coil pack would be the go. Cheap and easy to fit before trying too much else.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Have you checked for fault codes? Do you know how to check for fault codes?

Cazzle-B

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Wagon
Sounds like a bad coil. Had a similar thing a few weeks ago with a friend bringing around his VS for me to look at. Idle was a bit rough, take off was crap until about 30km and then ran fine but was lacking a bit of power.
Had some other coils here to swap with and was going to change 1 at a time. Got it first go, it was the 1/6 coil.

I was leaning towards them at first but then the more I looked up the symptoms the more I got confused and started to think tps , well doing both isn’t going to hurt just one a week so I’ll probably do the coils first, thank you

Cazzle-B

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Wagon
Have you checked for fault codes? Do you know how to check for fault codes?

I haven’t got a scanning tool yet , I haven’t even got a multimeter anymore just rebuilding my tools up again ( ex kept them when we broke up ) I’ve seen some for $ 40 but wasn’t sure if they’d be any good, bit suss at that price

Cazzle-B

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Wagon
TPS will do something similar. But normally your trans will have issues shifting up and it will feel like it's labouring and will rev a lot before shifting, also you would probably have trouble around 80-100kph with it feeling like the trans is not shifting into 4th and then almost dying or not locking up the TC, almost like its slipping. Would be worth scanning to see if the TPS is faulty because of how old the car is. A second hand coil pack would be the go. Cheap and easy to fit before trying too much else.

I think I’ll grab both but I’ll start with the coils this week , no harm in replacing the tps before it does go

Cazzle-B

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Wagon
Thank you Woteva , Losh1971 and greenacc , I really appreciate your help guys

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
In a VS you o my need a paper clip or piece of wire to read codes. A TPS fault would be throttle related not load related like you describe so I'd try coils or leads first.
Could be wrong, I was once ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah for now just scan using a paperclip. It takes a bit of getting used to if you have 3 or 4 fault codes, because you can lose your place in the flash cycle. But it's free.