Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newbie VS help please

D

DJPilot

Hi all, I have recently become an owner of my first commodore (exec 11/95 VS auto, 218K km, ABS) and I have a few questions that I hope I can get some advise on. First though, I have already spend many hours viewing many threads on this fantastic forum, and I look forward to spending many more hours (possibly hundreds!) in the future.

I have a few problems.
1. Brought the car about 2 weeks ago in Brisbane, and driving home (over the Gap) at 10PM on a very cool night (bout 15deg) the auto started slipping coming up the range then the car started getting very hot (the gauge got to about 3/4 before I pulled over) and let it idle for a few minutes until it cooled down a bit. I flushed the radiator on the weekend just gone, and done a 90K trip and the first 1/2 of the trip the car was ok, then started getting hot and was over 3/4 by the time I stopped.
I have bled the air from the cooling system and have topped up the auto with dextron III (was a bit low!). There are no cooling leaks and I had a local mechanic pressure test the cooling system last tuesday with no leaks found either. The thermo fan does come on when the temp gauge gets to a bit over half but when driving the car just seems to keep getting hotter. The water pump was recently replaced too.

2. There seems to be a front bearing noise that is louder when the car is not in a straight line. ie; when I am turning around a sweeping bend. It seems that I am NOT able to change the bearings (ABS!), but would like to know if anyone has done this because I cant afford $400 to fix each side.

3. There are quite a few suspension noises and squeaks and was wondering if anyone knows of a "recommended" set of bushes/rubbers that should be changed. I would just like to go buy all the needed bushes etc and do the whole lot over a weekend. There seems to be a bit of a clunk that comes from the rear passengers side, and the front just makes lots of clicks, clunks, groans etc.

4. The AC/Heater fan doesn't work on settings 1 and 2 but ok on 3 and high. Is this normally the switch, or is there a fan resistor somehwhere? If there is a resistor, where is it located?

5. The power steering seems to make a kind if buzzing/vibration when turning the wheel at low RPM. The mechanic put new seals in it last week as it was leaking, but this has not fixed the noise.

6. When I am driving the car on a level straight road, and I just touch the accelerator a tiny amount, the engine seems to surge. If I back off just that little bit it goes away, and if i accellerate a bit more it goes away. Anyone seen this problem before?

I must appologise for the length & quantity of my questions.

I am starting to get the feeling that I should never have brought a commodore, and hope that the problems are not as serious (or expensive) as I am starting to think.

Many thanks in advance...

mick123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
Hey man, i'll try n help ya but yeah trial n error.

no 1. u might have a sticky thermostat, get it hot n see if u can feel a major temp difference between ur top n bottom radiator hoses. Make sure u got all the air out of the system. Did u use a bleeder bottle?

no 2. drive about 70-80k's on a WIDE EMPTY road and swerve CAREFULLY from side to side if it goes away or massively quieter then yeah u gotta pay up for a new wheel bearing, n there not hard 2 fit just expensive to buy.

no.3 Nolathanes r mint! try lubing alot of ur contact points with spray grease and sometimes u might just be hearing door rubber noises because their not adjusted.

no.4 could be either and i can check about the resistor at work for ya

no. 5 could be ur p/s pump or rack is just worn out or airlocked but if it's airlocked it should quiet up after about a week

no. 6 Wat do u mean by surge? rev out or just rise then drop back down?

D

DJPilot

Hi Thomas1, I paid 3K for it (but that is a longish story!).

I think I got all the air out, but I am not sure what a bleeder bottle is?

The surge is kind of hard to explain. Its like someone is killing the spark or fuel or air or something for about 1/10th of a second about every 1/2 to 1 second.

Cheers, and thanks for a quick response. Will keep you all up to date with my adventures.

mick123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
U just need a bottle, cut the bottom off and wrap electrical tape around the neck until it blocks the radiator filler, clamp the overflow line and crack the bleeder and it force feeds the cooling system. As for the surge, check leads plugs, and if ur fuel pump's overly noisy. But yeah can't really tell from here lol. good luck

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
I am starting to get the feeling that I should never have brought a commodore, and hope that the problems are not as serious (or expensive) as I am starting to think

dont regret buying a commodore! once u fix it up, it'll be faithful for a long time!! (hopefully!)