Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newbie with Catback and Extractor questions.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
you have a 2 grand budget, maybe a bit more.... Not_An_Abba_Fan has a special on a full exhaust for$2360 plus a hundred bucks cash back that ended yesterday. if you ask nicely, he might be able to extend the offer. He only sells quality stuff, a heap of people recommend his gear.

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
Thanks ppl. So if I decide to install an OTR and tune it, does that mean I have to use 98ron fuel?

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
You could have it tuned for any ron fuel you like...

I just had mine tuned, took it in with a full tank of 98... Asked the question what happens if I'm stuck and 95 is the only option, tuner said that it will be fine, and 91 would also be fine as well. But do not thrash the car, or accelerate heavily. This has something to do with a secondary graph or something he was telling me about?

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
I know the knock sensor will kick in if that's the case.

I had a look on eBay, there are MAF and MAFless OTRs around. Which is better? Maf one is easier to tune without remapping fuel graph I guess?

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Get a VCM OTR that uses your maf and then get it tuned. It'll be a wee bit smoother keeping the maf and along with a full exhaust you'll have as much power as a new HSV

rx2_freak

Smokes, let's go.
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Z SERIES SPORTWAGON
You could have it tuned for any ron fuel you like...

E85 FTW.

A question for all the exhaust gurus, is there much of a difference in mild steel and stainless catback exhausts.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
E85 FTW.

A question for all the exhaust gurus, is there much of a difference in mild steel and stainless catback exhausts.

from what i've read its mainly longevity and a bit of a difference in the sound. Sure the stainless is all shiny and stuff, but its under the car and doesnt stay shiny for long.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It will also come down to the quality of the stainless.

Exhaust grade 406 stainless is a heavier walled pipe, it won't polish up but it will not corrode, it will go that brown colour after a while though.

I think the 304 can be polished, but it is a thinner wall, it's not really suited to exterior applications, but I think some of the "shiny" exhausts on the market use it because it looks pretty. It is what is referred to as food grade.

316 is "marine grade".

Mild steel sounds better, I think so anyway, stainless is harder and doesn't flex as much so it is more prone to stress cracking. It has a longer warranty against corrosion, but not cracking.