Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newbie with Catback and Extractor questions.

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
Hi all,

I'm new to this exhaust upgrade thing, so please bear with me. I am about upgrade my catback on my manual SSV, just with a cheap ebay x-force one for starters. 2 1/2" mild steel one, I just want a better note than stock, and a better flow.

Later on I will upgrade my extractors and cats. Just wondering:

1. will there be any drone from this cat back sys? My car is a full stock at the moment. I HATE drones, as I do quite a bit of freeway driving.
2. I read some posts here about NOT to get x-force cheapo extractors. I was thinking about Pacemaker ones. But what size for my car? 1 3/4 maybe? It is a full stock and I am not planning for cams or induction kit etc, as I am a family man and my funds are limited compared to my bachelor days. I'm only after a good note when putting my foot down and some usable torque and power increases.
3. Cats, 2.5" 100 cpi maybe? Since I wanna free up the flow a bit?
4. Once I installed the extractors and the new cats, the oxy sensor after the cat can still reach and screw in yeah? I will have to dyno tune my car as I have been told, why is that? Is the car drivable before hand? I mean I will have to DRIVE to the dyno shop you see. Will it give me the Check Engine light or will the car splatter and carry on when I drive it?

Cheers ppl.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
1. Not sure, I don't own an X-force system. Being a manual, expect some drone with any exhaust if you labor a tall gear up a hill... But hey, you shouldn't do that anyway.

2. I personally put Hurricane 1 7/8 extracors on my car. Honestly, unless you are going down the intake/mafless tune route as well, sounds like you might not even need extractors and cats? Reason I saw that, is if you're only chasing abit more V8 noise, the cat back will do this. I mean sure the extractors and cats will make it better (sound and performance), but they are also making things alot more expensive, and as you said, cause engine lights.

3. May aswell get 200cpi, legal, and better than stock.

4. The O2 sensor will need an extension on the LHS, they are about $50. Car will drive 100% fine with engine light on. But yes, the engine light will come on, but it will drive 100% as it did before you did the exhaust modification (that was the case with me anyway).

I'd also recomend contacting Not_An_Abba_Fan on this forum, he is the local exhaust guru.... He will give you good advice and great prices on the products he recomends and sells.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
200 cell cats are legal? Please show me where you got this info.

If your going to do the cat back you may aswell install a cold air intake and get it dyno tuned. It will be more responsive, have more power and use less fuel.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
Catback is going to give you the noise your after that's for sure. I personally went the Walkinshaw 3 inch catback as I really like the noise it created.

As far as everything else goes, I'm with "ssv" & would suggest a OTR (VCM is a good one) & a tune is going to be money better spent.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
A friend has a 2.5" Xforce cat back(stainless) on his SSV manual, and it sounds OK. I have a 2.5" Xforce mild steel on my GTS auto, and quite like it. No drone. Remember the GTS has extractors as standard though.
Unless you are chasing power, dont waste money on extractors etc.
And, IMHO, you dont need 3" if not chasing big power.

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
200 cell cats are legal? Please show me where you got this info.

Just the info I was given when I bought my cats, was told they are 200cpi and EPA legal.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
200 cell MagnaFlow cats are EPA legal. One of the few on the market that are.

100 cell cats are not.

Some people are happy with XFORCE, most aren't.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
i have a 2.5 inch xforce cat back and VCM OTR on my SSV. sounds tough (to people i have met so far), and only has minimal drone at arount the 1600 to 1900 rpm mark. it comes down to how much cash you have to spend. you might even be able to spend the same amount you would on a new xforce on a second hand "better quality" system. whats your budget?

RoaringSky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 Manual Sedan
700 for catback and 1000 for cats and extractors. Maybe bit more.

Sorry to be a dumb ass, wots VCM OTR? induction kit?

mikey-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportwagon
$700 will get you a cheap catback, $1000 might be pushing to get decent extractors and cats...

VCM is a brand, OTR is an 'Over the radiator' style intake.

sidepanel.jpg

Last edited: