Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

newby thread. 5.0 commo's wondering about knock sensor.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
Ive been told the 195i and 165i are the same engine, internals heads etc, but to get to 195i you need a knock sensor, can one be installed and wired into a normal v8 ecu? Or do i need the right harness & ecu?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
It's not the knock sensor that gives you the extra KW.

It's the HSV Memcal (Tune) which will only work if you have the HSV knock sensor........you can't run the knock sensor off the standard memcal.

Or alternatively just take the car to a tuner and get a custom tune done.

Also the engine you are referring to is the 185i.........the 195i was the VT motor which had the roller motor.

tim_pato

Reaction score
Members Ride
daily-5.0 5spd vr ss clubodore, project-74 lh rana
So an after market memcal will do the same thing? And do they just plug in and away you go? Ive got a manual ecu with a memcal in it, will that work in an auto ecu?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So an after market memcal will do the same thing? And do they just plug in and away you go? Ive got a manual ecu with a memcal in it, will that work in an auto ecu?
Technically, yes memcal's are plug and play.

But you need the correct one for your car...if you have an auto you need an auto if you have a manual you need a manual.
You mention aftermarket memcal....please use a reputable tuner....not a "stage 4 fully hectic ebay tune" unless you want to detonate your engine (trust me I have seen plenty of people try the TRX100 ebay stage 4 tunes on their car and ruin them)

MACE/The1 will do a good tune for you which in my opinion feels better than the HSV tune (and it will be a damn sight cheaper than trying to find a set of knock sensors and a genuine HSV memcal)

When it comes to a tune don't cheap out, its the backbone of your car and the slightest thing wrong in the tune can destroy engines.