Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newby - VX unknown coolant leak

slurrydog1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
The other day as i was driving, the temp gauge suddenly shot right up to hot, i immediately pulled over to find about 3L of coolant covering nearly everything on the left of the block. Im yet to find the cause of this leak and am unsure as to what it could be.

Things I've ruled out are:
-Radiator (Brand new)
-Top and bottom hoses (checked)

Ive had people suggesting everything from core/welsh/freeze plugs to water pump and heater hoses, but there doesnt seem to be any ominous sounds coming from the pump and the heater hoses look alright, as for core plugs im praying its not, from what ive heard to replace them would mean removal of the engine?

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated to get it back on the road ASAP thanks.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Left of the block looking front on at the car or left of the black as in passenger side?

If it's the driver side of the block, I would be looking at the heater tap. That is notorious for getting brittle and bursting.

Good luck.

petergl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore super 6
Could be heater tap or thermostat getting stuck open. Good thing u pulled over straight away. A similar prob happened with me the temp fluxuating. $1700 later the manifold gasket all hoses rocker cover gasket. New themostat and new radiator

slurrydog1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
ouch, ive removed the thermostat, tested it as well and its all fine, currently removing heater tap

slurrydog1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
thanks for the help, just got the heater tap off and found the whole bottom connector had a crack through it, i just snapped it off with minimal force, think I found my problem. cheers

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
thanks for the help, just got the heater tap off and found the whole bottom connector had a crack through it, i just snapped it off with minimal force, think I found my problem. cheers

1. Glad it's looking like it's sorted.
2. Damn I'm good. :p