Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Newer Ipods and connections to Cd players

Sharoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Grandpa Spec 5.7L VX Berlina
I brought a Pioneer headunit that came with an Ipod cord that plugs in behind and comes through to the front, however my Ipod doesn't charge when connected.

I went into Repco today to ask why. I had it installed properly it just doesn't charge which is a real pain in the arse. I have to take it inside everyday to charge it and I always forget it and end up with no music :(

The guy was on the phone for a while and found out that Ipods made in the last 2 years have different connections and don't charge with the older connections. Apple failed to tell anyone this. Pioneer only found out 4 months ago after similar queries like mine.

Just posted to let anyone buying something similar know and ask before wasting money and to see if anyone knows if another cord is available to charge the newer ipods? (I just have an 8GB one)
Otherwise, there any good headunits that do support and charge ipods?

mastadd

Reaction score
Website
www.classicskylinesaustralia.com
Members Ride
Vu Spac Ute
yeah have noticed this issue with the new Nano's its very disappointing. and i dont see a quick solution. even the High end Mirc's my mate has as his work cars have the same issue. how do you tell some one that just spent $900 on the ipod kit for their mirc that there ipod wont charge because its too new!

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Hmmm strange, my 1 year old classic charges with my alpine HU fine. I thought it was only the iphones that changed the charging circuit where they dropped the firewire option which changed the pinouts. Pretty sure Apple haven't changed anything, have several in my house including a new nano and they charge fine. If it charges through a universal iPod dock then it should suit most HU's

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
I have a pioneer 7050BT unit and a 16gb ipod nano and it works and charges fine. The headunit is great, i highly recommend it.