Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NewHD Clutch instaled

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Hey guys just untalled my exedy heavy duty clutch with solid flywheel on my vt today.
The syptoms i had of sorta grinding noise at high revs is gone which i found to be spiggot bush which when i took old flywheel off to be just loosely barely sitting in which meant it was spinning freely.
Anyway as driving the car home a was very nervous and cautious. The car drives fine but just noticed a few things.
There a very faint (but obviously to me, it dives me mad lol) sort of high pulsating low pitch noise between 1800 at 2100 rpm only and only with foot on accelerator. It sounds like somewhere frm behind or beneath the glovebox vicinity. I orinally thought it might be the originial DMF but is still there after replacing with solid one.
Sound two i only noticed once when just slowly opening the car up it appeared at just over 4000rpm and to describe it was like something grinidng. Hard to describe as i quickly changed gear when i heard it but i will try to recreate tomorow and desrcribe to more extent.
Also i was aware and wanred that when installing HD clutch that i would experience some sounds and vibrations.
Can anybody tell me what the expected sounds and what ot actually are and if i should be worried by this.
Also if anybody could help shed some light on, i have a ticking sound when increasing rpm. Sound kicks in ruond 3000rpm. Im thinking myabe its the oil grade im using (10W-40) as noticed in the manual that holden advises 20W-50.
PS While on case of the HD many people including exedy wanred of heavy pedal and harsh driving but after installing my clutch pedal is no heavier than before and is quiet easy to drive smoothly only difference i noticed and firmly grab on take off.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I've noticed that changing from a dual-mass to solid flywheel in those cars can introduce a bit of a rattle somewhere along the input shaft of the gearbox at low rpm / idle in neutral. Adelaide Clutch Services advises this is completely normal though.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
Yea i have noticed the rattle, forgot to mention that above.
It occurs round 1500rpm and only really notice it on take off.
Just the other sound im not so sure off :s

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Yeah that sounds a bit off... Maybe record a video and give us a look/listen?

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
I had a strange noise at high rpm in 1st gear but it went away a week or so after installing the new clutch.

As for the rest, I'm installing a Mal Wood flywheel and clutch on the weekend to replace a shoddy DMF and hopefully remove vibrations etc.

I'll let you know if I get any similar symptoms.

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Ok, so my solid flywheel and hd clutch has gone in and it seems to have fixed my jerky take-offs. There is a knocking vibration now when accelerating that is audible and comes through the gear stick. My family's VZ SV8 has this also so I'm not too worried about that.

Although, at low rpm under high load (high gear) there is like a big vibration that sounds like the dash is rattling or the engine is grinding like an old truck. Dad seems to think this is normal due to labouring at low rpm...never had that with the DMF.

As for the high rpm noise...I don't have that, the car sounds a lot better at higher rpm than it used to.

I still have to chase a miss that might be causing issues.

callum_88

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec 5 spd/ VZ SS 6 spd 6ltr
oh, im not sure about noises but..

i get a loud clicking noise when engaging/disengaging the clutch and my gears i can hear also a loud click when moving side to side in neutral and putting in gear, i wouldnt know if its normal or not

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
oh, im not sure about noises but..

i get a loud clicking noise when engaging/disengaging the clutch and my gears i can hear also a loud click when moving side to side in neutral and putting in gear, i wouldnt know if its normal or not

I think sounds like that are normal. The gear stick click is due to the long linkage between the stick and the box, and possibly worn bushes at either end of it.

The clicking with the clutch could be taking up slack in the diff. The clutch fork also seems to make some noise.

vt s

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s s1
callum your noise when shifting gears and what not are completely normal.
Nothing to worry about.

Kart the problem you talk about under load sounds something similar to mine.
I get just a slight sort of shudder sound at only 1500-1600 rpm.
Idk ifit has anything to do with the bad backlash my diff gets...

kart_racer

Races karts
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim 5M
Kart the problem you talk about under load sounds something similar to mine. I get just a slight sort of shudder sound at only 1500-1600 rpm. Idk ifit has anything to do with the bad backlash my diff gets...

Very well could be. I got Dad to drive the car to check it out and he suggested it was like a bad CV joint or something in the driveline, and the solid flywheel was now transmitting vibration through to the engine, causing the shaking at high load and low rpm.

As he said it I turned my head, and sure enough, the sound seems to be coming from the rear of the car and resonating through the front.

I guess Holden did install the DMF for a reason, but surely we can chase these issues up and get nice, smooth cars.