Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Next Car

What should be my next car?

• XR5T

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GOLF GTI MK6

• MAZDA 3 MPS

• FOCUS ST

• WRX, WRX STI

• Total voters

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
sorry to post in the older thread here, but i have a question. now that Holden is no more and from what i have heard the 10 year warranty has gone down to 5 years (correct me if i am wrong) what will you guys do with your Holdens when those years are up?
drive it until it dies? i simply wanted to know because if i get an SS or HSV what would be the best solution to this?
if you understand what i mean

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Never had a car with a warranty. Probably never will. Everything I do myself or take to a reputable mechanic if I cbf'd.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
the 10 year warranty has gone down to 5 years (correct me if i am wrong)

There is / was no 10 year warranty.

GM has committed to providing support for Holden vehicles for 10 years. I have previously sent an email to Holden Customer Care asking them which Holden vehicles.....crickets.

Confusuion has set in because GM are offering dealers parts & service agreements with terms of 5 years so people are freaking out that support will only be for 5 years.

This may well be the case however the business I work with (truck and yellow goods dealer) only ever gets dealer agreements for a max of 3 years with some brands being only 1 year, so 5 years is a relatively long commitment by GM.

How long GM will really provide support for will only be known when they eventualy pull said support.

To answer your question, I have no plans on getting rid of mine any time soon. Don't forget, 57 Chevs haven't been made since 1957, HQ Holdens since 1974, VS Commodores since 1995 etc.

Last edited:

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Never had a car with a warranty. Probably never will. Everything I do myself or take to a reputable mechanic if I cbf'd.
best way to be is to do it yourself, fun with friends. unfortunately i do not know that much to be able to do it by myself. maybe i will get there one day

BrettP75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais S1 6.0Ltr
sorry to post in the older thread here, but i have a question. now that Holden is no more and from what i have heard the 10 year warranty has gone down to 5 years (correct me if i am wrong) what will you guys do with your Holdens when those years are up?
drive it until it dies? i simply wanted to know because if i get an SS or HSV what would be the best solution to this?
if you understand what i mean

Besides, there are so many decent after market parts available it won’t really matter anyway, and you’d be crazy to take your car to a Holden dealer for mechanical work. Not saying they aren’t good in fact they are fantastic but charge 3 times more than any other reputable mechanic. Just sayin’.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Besides, there are so many decent after market parts available it won’t really matter anyway, and you’d be crazy to take your car to a Holden dealer for mechanical work. Not saying they aren’t good in fact they are fantastic but charge 3 times more than any other reputable mechanic. Just sayin’.
yeah that is true about the dealers, yeah i guess there some good stuff to replace it when it needs to even if not genuine, still can be good quality

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Cheap tyres, rubber in the guards. Just general neglect, paint missing, untidy interior etc etc. Dirty fluids, flogged bushes. Also the way the car is presented when you go to look at it. Says a lot about the owner in one way or another.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
And make sure the engine is dead cold when you inspect. Listen to it warm up.

As sandman says, the car tells alot about the owner but on the other hand, the owner tells a lot about the car. If you're a decent judge of character, you can get a decent idea of how people treat their things by your interaction with them. You can also figure out how trustworthy they are with a bit of general chat.