Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

next problem after timing chain replacement vz v6 05

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
You can just get a long bit of hose, suck a little fuel into the end of it, hold the throttle body open and and blow it into the plenum. That will tell you if it starts when there is a fuel supply.

To check fuel supply, yeah get someone to turn the key to nearly turning over for you. Crouch at the back and just listen for the pump working in the tank.

You can also do that or turn it over a bit. Then disconnect the battery if you are scared, and depress the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Black cap on the fuel line at the back of the motor. If fuel squirts out, you got fuel pressure, and fuel to the injectors. No dribble, no joy. There is your issue.

Every time I thought an issue was the ECU, it never was. I have pulled a dozen off wrecks, and they are all good, no matter how burned or mouldy. You can get them tested before you buy a new one if you want the confidence.

There is a Fu Manchu thread on here about the low fuel no start issue. Replacing the timing chains often sets this off. When it happened to me it was a PIM issue, needed Tech 2 to make it communicate again.

Maybe double check you reconnected all the plugs, back of the plenum, throttle body, MAF, camshaft sensors and solenoids. Heat of the moment and all.

Check your camshaft sensor wire is not cracked too, especially where it loops on Bank 2. You might have to peel back the tape a bit. They get brittle in the heat. I had that problem once myself, and have seen it since. Running like a dog till it wouldn't run any more is the classic symptom, and it could have been the problem all along.

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What would trigger the PIM error by doing the timing chains? Doesn't really make sense to me.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Good question. I got absolutely no idea cause I don't know boo about the electronics. But I got some useless conjecture ha ha.

I thought, on one hand, you got the car sitting there for ages broken down, the battery going flat. Then you might try to start it with a battery that is not its best. With jumper leads. Like it says in that thread of Fu Manchu's, batteries cause that issue.

On top of that you are unplugging a whole bunch of stuff and powering it all up from scratch.

Point is, there is no doubt this particular job can cause it. With my car, we swapped a couple of ECUs over from wrecks. Finally figured out it was the PIM. It was this scenario, like they say on the Injectotronics website:

"Some common faults being reported by our customers include no start, fuel and temp gauges inoperative, no crank or even a chattering starter relay. Also in most of these situations, no scan tool communication can be established with the PIM module."

My car turned over a few times when I reconnected it after changing the chains. I had jumper leads on it. Then it blew the ignition fuse, I think it was. Mine is one of those big square ones with the clear plastic lid. Then after that, as above, plus I had service warnings. Total electronic wig out.

A couple of mates came with their Tech 2 and we did the ECU thing. Then figured out the PIM was causing the issue. Unlinked and linked it again and back to normal with the original ECU.

Later it happened with another car I helped the same guys with putting the chains on for them. This one had been sitting for months and had the most horrible old battery in it we charged up. Same sitch exactly except would not even turn over.

I been reading about other people's woes here thinking, oh this rings a bell.

On another car I did the chains, it wouldn't start up after cause the throttle body crapped itself sitting unused. I had that issue with mine after I had chains off again to do the valve stem seals where that bloody wire cracked to the camshaft sensor. That problem was so hard to find.

Sometimes they don't like being messed with.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I would suggest this is the exact problem we had.
Common theme is car not used much or at all for long periods leading up to the problem.
if the car was running garbage, I doubt you’ll have been driving it much.

Jump the starter relay. There’s threads on it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Further to that, ours gradually got better. Just had to jump it every time. I made a wire with spade terminals crimped on for the job. The battery had gone low on charge, how ever I suspect it’s more to do with oxidised contact point in a relay or switch somewhere in the mess of everything. So neutral starter switch, starter solenoid, maybe start relay or a BCM relay has a poor contact hidden away.

allbreeds

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore station wagon 2005
so after some umming and ahhing unplugged ecu plugged back in put 20 litres of petrol in it .The battery went flat almost immediately after turning over 10 times trying to start. Recharged overnight. Each time i tried to start it kept getting closer to starting so bought a can of "start ya bastard" couple of sprays and the thing started. Quiet ! no noise checked coded ..only have p0030, o2 sensor which had before along with p0021,p0346 p0421 these are now gone . I changed the oil pressure sensor. So all in all i did it with a bit of help from you guys . Thankyou for all your suggestions and input ....
Cheers Stef