Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Next problem

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
I changed the intake manifold gasket a few weeks ago all is well no more water loss
I did think my heater core was stuffed as I can smell that coolant hot engine smell but my radiator is fine nd water full
I was going to bypass it but wondering if I should still do it or not
I get a little bit of condensation nd wouldn't call it bad the weather is average nd dont need to use the heater at all (nz)
Shall I run it to temperature nd blast the heater open on full to see if it uses water
Cheers all

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wouldn't bypass the heater yet. They can weep for a number of years before they really become a problem. Given it's at least a day to replace the core and then you probably want to replace the evaporator at the same, saves doing the job twice, I'd let it weep away until it starts to get really smelly. Once you bypass the core it won't take long before it dries out. If it dries out and there is any sludge inside it will dry block then it will be ruined altogether and will produce minimal heat, if you did decide to reconnect it.

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
Thanks but she's smelly now every time I'm at a set of lights nd idle or take off I can smell it inside
But then again how smelly is smelly for this situation
Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
But then again how smelly is smelly for this situation
If it's bad enough that it doesn't go away after 10mins with the heater on then it's probably more than a weep.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Any reason why it's not using water
Sounds like it's still must be a weep, but if the smell is unbearable it may be more than a weep. Without seeing how much is coming out the drain it's an unknown for me. From what I hear you saying is the smell is really off. I have a weep and it smells but this fades after 10 mins. They don't often leak that bad that the resi needs topping up anymore than every couple of months. I guess it could be really stinky if your drain is blocked.
If you have a regular heater/AC, rather than bypass it, leave in the cool position; this should in theory keep the tap shut, then you can run it once a week to keep the core wet.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If its only weeping then I would just get some of this and add it in, its available at Autobarn $5.99.
ASDDispenser.jpg

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Oh, I found that once you fix one leak then if a weak spot may let go somewhere else as the pressure builds, I would change your heater tap if its never been done, that be the next to go.
I changed my radiator as it had a leak in the core 2 weeks latter heater tap breaks, lol.

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
Thanks all
I just did the bypass nd took it for a drive to my work 40min each way nd smell gone how ever I flushed the core of coolant nd it was a bit sludgy
I will do the heater core hoses and tap over summer
Yes I know it's a biggie but it's a project car as I've said before and not my daily so can do it over a few Saturdays etc