Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Next project... Pedders XA coil overs, White Line front control arms, and Brembo 4 piston brakes, front and rear

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Pontiac GTO 5.7 LS1 6 speed
I picked up the last of the parts I wanted for this project. I ordered and received some ARP wheel studs and some speed bleeders for the calipers. For the wheel studs, I got part# 100-7718 for the front hubs and part# 100-7708. The reason for the studs went from a "while you are in there" deal to gonna need them now deal.

My next move was new tires. The current tires on my car are from 2005 and while they only have 8000 or so miles on them, they are just old. I wanted a wider tire in the rear so I had 2 choices... go aftermarket or, drumroll please... pick up a pair of the stock 18" wheels and send them off to get widened 1.5" to 18x9.5. A 275mm tire will fit fine back there once I figure out a wheel spacer and get my ride height dialed in. So here we go with another couple grand in tires and wheel modifications and paint. But hey, wide stock wheels are cool. I got the pair of wheels on eBay and they arrived today. Been looking at tires and it looks like it will be Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer tires.

I hope to get on the brake and coilover install this weekend but the weather isn't looking very cooperative. Next weekend it will happen for sure since I was able to get a vacation day in. On Monday I am going to call the wheel shop and get a quote, find out the lead time, and eventually ship the wheels off.

My wheels...
20210926_113626_copy_1824x2449.jpg

Wheel studs...
Screenshot_20211023-011052_Outlook.jpg

Screenshot_20211023-011027_Outlook.jpg

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I thought GTOs came with 17 inch wheels, due to some US reg that specified a minimum height for a tyre wall ?

2 mods that would not be allowed in Aus =
Spacers = illegal, allowed only if they are fitted by the manufacture as original equipment.
Widening existing wheels = illegal, the replacement rim barrel must be one piece, so that rules out cut and shut, or inserting a band.

Photos of the finished product will be interesting.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
The 2004 cars came with the 17" wheels. In 2005 and 6 they offered up the 18" wheel. I bought my set of 18s in the Spring of 2005 when the 2005 cars were making their way over to the US. There are no regulations regarding the tire sidewall height. Funny thing is, all of the show cars and press review cars had the factory 18" wheels on them.

That sucks that it is against the law for you guys to use spacers or alter a wheel. Is that kind of limits you and what you can do for wheels and bigger tires. I really like those stock 18s and they will keep my stock look theme going.

I will definitely post pics of the progress. I just don't know how long the wheel shop is backed up with work. Probably gonna cost around $500 USD for the widening and another $150 for the hub and wheel centric spacers. The ARP wheel studs were $135. I am going to get prices on powder coating the wheels, but I can see myself having to paint them.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Is that kind of limits you and what you can do for wheels and bigger tires.

We can fit larger diameter and width, no problems, as long as the rolling radius is maintained by lower profile tyres.
Suspension clearance and guards dictate what is practical.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
We can fit larger diameter and width, no problems, as long as the rolling radius is maintained by lower profile tyres.
Suspension clearance and guards dictate what is practical.
I am going to assume that your aftermarket selection for wheels is much better than ours is over here, being that there is more familiarity with the platform. All in on widening the VZ 18s, I'm gonna be at aftermarket wheels cost, maybe higher. I guess I should consider myself fortunate that I can do this with the wheels in the first place. Quite a few guys over here have widened the 17 or 18" wheels. I am kind of late to this party but I can afford to do it now, unlike before.

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Progress in the making... fronts are done, need to finish driver side rear and do the passenger rear. I need to install the rear springs and shocks, bleed the system, set ride height, test drive and bed the brakes and torque the front lower control arms.

20211030_101600_copy_1559x2564.jpg
20211030_101530_copy_1432x2389.jpg

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
And she's done! This thing stops! I thoroughly flushed and bled the brakes and bed them in per Powerstop's instructions printed on the brake pad box... five aggressive stops from 40-5 MPH and then five moderate stops from 35-5 MPH. Then a good cool down period. For kicks i did another set of 5 aggressive stops and then another cool down. Pedal feel is solid and instant. The ABS kicked in on a purpose late stop. Best braking system on a car I have ever owned, worth the money, especially since it is all factory parts besides the custom brackets. Here are final pics with the wheels back on and the car on the ground...

20211031_204828.jpg
20211031_204848.jpg

WickedGoat

Reaction score
Members Ride
While I am thinking about it, I need to set my ride heights and plan to do that this weekend. Can anyone tell me what the factory heights should be and recommend some numbers to start with?

H

harrop.senator

Mines pretty low I can measure hub centre to guard lip when I get home. Maybe static height the coilover same length? won't compress as much as stock due to spring rate.