Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
Ok so i have just done coolant and flush, oil and oil filter, new fan belt, gearbox service and new flywheel (torque converter/gearbox), i was thinking next of a set of NGK iridiums IX's and New 9mm Leads, would this be a good choice before i get the CAI...

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
bigger the better :D less resistance, CAI, cheap effective and takes about an hour to bolt up i'd say, plugs and leads will definately complement all that well!!
I've got a pod filter tucked away nicely behind my left headlight, nice amount of cold air plus the benefits of a pod :whistling

I'm wanting to get an MSD ignition coil, any thoughts on prices for them?

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
lol yeah im keen for the bigger leads, but i found out that in an engine newhere over like 200-250 000kms its not good to go bigger than the stock leads cause it can head where there is to much spark and blow a hole in the piston/block area, i was told go NGK iridium, is there any truth to this, or is it just a small chance thing, where it has like a 1 in a million chance of happeneing

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
and can someone explain to me what the coil pack does?

gone_nutz13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN BT1 - 5.0
coil pack makes a small jolt turn into a big one, it's just a transformer that cranks up the voltage to give a big spark. bigger hotter spark and mixture explodes better giving more power.

when it blows a hole its due to detonating i believe, it can happen but i don't think that it's very common in the buik v6's they are quite strong. i doubt that the boost from bigger leads would be big enough to blow a hole in your engine. there is less resistance in a bigger lead which allows more voltage and better spark

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
38VNIT said:
lol yeah im keen for the bigger leads, but i found out that in an engine newhere over like 200-250 000kms its not good to go bigger than the stock leads cause it can head where there is to much spark and blow a hole in the piston/block area, i was told go NGK iridium, is there any truth to this, or is it just a small chance thing, where it has like a 1 in a million chance of happeneing

The bigger the spark the better to a degree, because the aim is to burn up all the gases etc. in the combustion chamber.... And what you have been told is not true. The size of the combustion is always limited to the amount of fuel and compression in the combustion chamber.

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
ok so vn2nv, if i was to buy 9.2mm leads, a bigger col and 6x iridiums it would be safe to do so knowing my car has 260kms on the clock

38VNIT

Azerium
Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing
coil, not col**

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Yeah it would be fine man. It wont do any damage. But ask a mechanic if it will make you feel more certain about it.

I wouldnt buy an aftermarket coil though. MSD are the best ones to get, but many people complain of reliability issues in the aftermarket ones compared to the stock ones. You wont get any noticeable difference unless you have some major modifications anyway. Just stick to the leads and plugs for now man :thumbsup:

Btw, Repco only stock Top Gun leads (they stock Eagle etc. too, but Top Gun is the best brand they have and the ones they reccomend), and they are good as well. I prefer Magnacore leads though and they are known as the best, but harder to find. Try auto bahn for those :yeah: Similar in price and performance though so either is good.