Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nissan's V8 Supercar revealed

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
FIRST PICS: The new era of V8 Supercars has begun with the first Nissan Altima V8 Supercar unveiled this morning in Melbourne.

In a groundbreaking day for the sport, the Kelly-Racing backed Nissan Altima will shatter 20 years of Holden and Ford dominance when the team runs four factory-backed cars in the 2013 V8 Supercars series.

Kelly Racing co-owner and driver Rick Kelly described this morning's announcement as a "game changer".

"This is the first time in 20 years that Nissan is back in this category,'' Kelly said.

"Factory support is the key to teams winning Bathurst and V8 Supercar championships. There's nothing more exciting for a drive than to unveil a car with a brand new chassis that takes it to a new level.''

He promised it would result in the "re-emerging of a rivalry" in the sport.

It is a V8 Supercar in every way, but without the red lion or blue oval badge.

493404-nissan-039-s-v8-supercar.jpg

Powered by a 32-valve, quad-cam Nissan VK56DE engine, the Nissan Altima will not be the only new car on the grid next year with an Erebus-Mercedes car to be run out of the Stone Brothers garage.

The Altima will be built to the new Car of the Future regulations laid down by V8 Supercars for the 2013 season, and will also feature the series' first production-based motor since the arrival of Project Blueprint in 2003.

The powerplant set to be used in the V8 Supercar Nissan Altima will be, at its core, the same engine that will power the new Nissan Patrol due to go on sale in Australia early next year, as well as powering various vehicles in the American market.

The Nissan Altima, dubbed the "red devil'' by its makers, will makes its debut in the Clipsal 500 around the streets of Adelaide in February.

Kelly Racing co-owner and overseer of the team's Nissan Altima project Todd Kelly said the place has been buzzing since they began their bold plan to put a Nissan Altima on the 2013 V8 Supercars grid.

"It has taken 23,000 hours to design and build the car. This is the car I always wanted to build,'' he said.

"In my slightly biased opinion, this is the most impressive V8 Supercar ever produced,'' Kelly said.

"It doesn't matter where you look on this car, you are looking at the highest level of design and detail.

"Bring on 2013.''

491333-nissan-039-s-v8-supercar.jpg

V8 Supercars chief executive David Malone said the series will never be the same.

"This marks the beginning of a new era for V8 Supercars,'' Malone said at the unveiling. "It's very exciting for our sport, fans, teams and drivers.

"New manufacturers joining the series will mean heightened competition and new technology racing on circuits around Australia and the world.

"2013 is a revolutionary year for V8 Supercars and the unveiling of the Nissan Altima is just the beginning."

And the manufacturer will undertake two innovative online broadcasts to ensure that fans can be a part of the historic occasion and share Nissan Motorsport's journey to the grid.

Nissan will host an online conference with Todd Kelly, with the Altima V8 Supercar on show, from the team's headquarters in Braeside, in Melbourne's south-east at 5pm today.

Kelly will provide an in-depth explanation of the Altima race car at the video conference and offer fans the chance to ask questions about Nissan's new venture into motor sport.

Nissan's V8 Supercar revealed | The Courier-Mail

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I love medai hype lol

"In a groundbreaking day for the sport, the Kelly-Racing backed Nissan Altima will shatter 20 years of Holden and Ford dominance when the team runs four factory-backed cars in the 2013 V8 Supercars series."

The only reason Ford and Holden dominate the series is because they are the only ones allowed to race....The media should really word their editorials better.

S.T.K.E

Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 D22 Navara Dual Cab 4x4
The only reason Ford and Holden dominate the series is because they are the only ones allowed to race....The media should really word their editorials better.

I agree. It does look pretty sexy though

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I wonder how much harder they will make it for the Nissans like they did after the Skylines blitzed the mountain in 1991 and 1992 by changing the rules in 1993.

rbk_212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS M6
I wonder how much harder they will make it for the Nissans like they did after the Skylines blitzed the mountain in 1991 and 1992 by changing the rules in 1993.

its not the same situation as the Group A days

this is pretty much exactly the same car as the others with Nissan panels and engine. Its all so tightly controlled there wont be much difference.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
It's about time they made the sport more competive. Just need mopar power now and I will be happy as a pig in **** :)

Holdenman

Modified
Reaction score
Website
www.holden.itgo.com
Members Ride
VR SS 5.0
Can't wait
I like this but its clear that if one make has a crazy unfair advantage then the long ruler will come into play. I think the others will make a presence for sure straight off the trailer as they have some key people who have done their homework.
NZ have gone to a control 7litre with big brakes and tires and less stressed engine which looks good at this stage, the better team is winning on skill and expertise of knowing what to do and when to do it. The bar should never be lowered to make it more competitive and the ones who struggle have to rise up to meet the top teams.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
I don't know how i feel about a nissan thats not sideways at every opportunity.
Im seriously looking forward to this i miss when the V8's used to be interesting

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
I've been opposed to nissan and merc comming into the category since it was suggested they would, and well halfway through the news topic on v8supercars.com I kinda changed my mind... Not going to enjoy watching them at bathurst but during the year it will do wonders for the sport and will make the fanbase of v8supercars double i reckon.