Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nissan's V8 Supercar revealed

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I just read the COTF concept. I hadn't heard much about it to be honest. As I understood the prerequisites were that entrants had to manufacture a road going version of the same car also with a V8, at least as an option, which is why Toyota got turned away a couple of yrs ago when they tried to enter a V8 camry, about the same time they stepped into the nascar world.

Rest assured, if Toyota were serious with the Camry V8SC concept, the rules would have been changed quick smart to get them in. The decisions of Nascar and V8SC were un-related. From what I understand any manufacturer can run pretty much any 4 door sedan in V8SC regardless what drivetrain the road going version has. They all share the same chassis/rollcage etc and have the various panels tacked onto them.

I like the way they say V8 supercar commodores will still have the same DNA as the street version. What a load of crap. They haven't been anything like the street version for yrs besides the 4 opening doors & the badges. The chassis are completely different to start with, let alone the engine, trans, brakes & susp. They'rs basically a full blown racer in commodore clothing, which is fine, just nothing like a street commodore. They should say it will still "LOOK" like a commodore.

They don't even share the doors :eek:.

I think COTF could be a bad thing too. I see their point with the concept but I think they should restrict it to race versions of cars that are released for general sale as V8's, then we'll see more competition in the market too. But then what about that rumours that ford are considering stopping production of the falcon? Maybe this is why the V8 supercar series had to restructure? Personally I doubt ford will do that, although now with COTF they could enter a V8 mondeo lol.

As a race car to drive they will be simply awesome. As a spectacle to watch - I'm not convinced. The problem with the current cars is that once they are off line overtaking under brakes and the like is very difficult if not impossible. COTF will be more so. My personal preference would be to wind back the aero and brakes which will lessen the advantage of the front car. Probably not all that fair on the lead car but would make for better racing on the box IMO.

Reaper

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
i highly doubt nissan is going to have any problems with their engine... its been running for almost 2 years now in the gt1 championship just brought down by .6L so no big change there
As for the whole group A thing i really dont see the point: one chassis and engine is always going to be dominant unless someone takes somethings terrible and throws a huge amounts of money at it and makes it something else entirely

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
i highly doubt nissan is going to have any problems with their engine... its been running for almost 2 years now in the gt1 championship just brought down by .6L so no big change there
As for the whole group A thing i really dont see the point: one chassis and engine is always going to be dominant unless someone takes somethings terrible and throws a huge amounts of money at it and makes it something else entirely

You are right however CAMS did have the parity pretty well sorted out between the turbo Sierras and V8 Commodores towards the end. The problem was the Nissan GTR which blew everything out of the water and CAMS were too slow to react. FIA originally wrote the Group A rules around Europe cars which really gave any V8 zero chance what so ever against any turbo or even NA small capacity car. From memory the turbo Sierras were putting out 100 more hp than the Commodores however they ran several hundred kg less weight and bigger wheels to boot. What chance did Holden have?

Reaper

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Am I missing something here, can I walk into a Nissan dealer and drive away in a V8 rear wheel drive Altima???

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Am I missing something here, can I walk into a Nissan dealer and drive away in a V8 rear wheel drive Altima???

nope, nor can you walk into holden and drive out in a 5ltr ve.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
My point being that there is a V8 option on the commondore and the fowlcon.