Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

no center mufflers, sounds very turbulent

maff1212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
just cut out my centre mufflers on my stock vy ss ls1 and it sounds very turbulent. anyone got any ideas on how to stop this. it sounds great under accelleration but is crap on idle or low revs. Anyone had this problem

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Try installing a pair of hotdogs where they used to be.
They will not impede your flow but will take any resonance or crackle out of it.

Can you elaborate on the 'turbulent' sound though?
Does it sound tinny? crackly? bomming resonance?

maff1212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
um its more of an air flow noise like a leak in an exhaust but way lowder. i took it to the shop and they seemed to think it was the balance pipe. it still makes this sound when i have the back resonator on it so im not too sure

maff1212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
just to confirm it makes this noise with or without the resonator

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Are the catalytic converters still intact?
A quick way of checking exhaust leaks is to block off the tail pipe momentarily and listen for hissing up the system.

If it has a leak and it was done by an exhaust shop, they should hang their heads in shame and shut up shop.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
just cut out my centre mufflers on my stock vy ss ls1 and it sounds very turbulent. anyone got any ideas on how to stop this. it sounds great under accelleration but is crap on idle or low revs. Anyone had this problem

Why do that? Just get a catback exhaust!

maff1212

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
i just took it into the exhaust shop, there are no leaks but they seam to think it shouldnt sound like it does with just straight pipe on it. the cats should be fine, thats saying i havent touched them but i will have a look tonight to make sure. its booked in on friday to see wether it makes this sound with a proper sports exhaust