Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No Head Unit?

T

Thanh Ha

Hi guys,

Recently aquired a Holden Commodore VT, I was wondering how something like this would look in it rather than a head unit, considering it is half the size of the original tape deck.

Where do you guys usually go to get your head-unit, and what would one expect to pay for the cheapest one that is somewhat decent?

I'm not thinking about changing the speakers, really only after a CD-Player.

Cheers,
Thanh Ha

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Had me confused for a while thinking how that was smaller, but they are double din the stock ones?

It'd look good if you got yourself a spare face plate, or if you got yourself a cd holder thing.

T

Thanh Ha

They're about half the size of the stock ones, don't think I have any sort of holders, or face plate.

I'm very very "noobie" when it comes to cars so not even sure what those are.

T

Tony

you want cheap that is still decent, basically stay away from anyone who makes dishwashers ;)
stay with the main brands like pioneer, kenwood, JVC, sony. Take a look in the trading post, you can get some real bargains there. Go talk to the guys at your local JB Hi-Fi, they will point you in the right direction, and then you can go and get it cheaper from somewhere else :p
With your double din factory tape player, you take that out and put in a mazda part to fill the gap where the single din unit goes, just go to a mazda spare parts dealer and ask for a tray that will fill the space with your new CD player, he'll know what your talking about.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
The new cd player will look perfectly fine only being single din, many people with late model cars do this and still manage to make it look good. As Tony was saying get the mazda pocket, or if you want something a bit nicer get a cd holder to fill the space (available at most car audio shops) we choose to fill the space up in our vt with an in-dash tv. For the actual headunit we have always had pioneer and they have been reliable, but those brands tony listed are also reputable, as are clarion and alpine. Let us know how u go :)

T

Tony

Julie said:
The new cd player will look perfectly fine only being single din, many people with late model cars do this and still manage to make it look good. As Tony was saying get the mazda pocket, or if you want something a bit nicer get a cd holder to fill the space (available at most car audio shops) we choose to fill the space up in our vt with an in-dash tv. For the actual headunit we have always had pioneer and they have been reliable, but those brands tony listed are also reputable, as are clarion and alpine. Let us know how u go :)
clarion and alpine usually = $$$
same with eclipse and other SQ head units. :D
But if you can get one second hand then thats probably a good buy, you should be able to find a decent alpine/clarion 2nd hand for about 300-500 bucks if your at the right place at the right time

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Can get an ex demo alpine for usually around half price.. So, probably around 500, that was according to a mate in Melbourne.

Mine was selling a while ago second hand for 300.. (I paid 1000) ages ago when MP3 was first coming in.

I'll vouch for alpine being really really good quality. Don't buy something with a touch screen or plasma screen or anything like that as the price is high solely because of the screen, so theyd probably stimp out on quality of the rest.

As for clarion, never liked them, pressed eject on one at a shop one day and the whole face plate seemed like it was connected with two thin bits of string and some bluetak.. felt very insecure..

raff

Reaction score
Members Ride
Brunette, 5-10', 10D's, great personality
I posted this up in the VX section but this is my VX Clubsport with a Alpine single din head unit. Used the mazda/ford pocket which did the job nicely. Part num in relevant thread.....

mypic9.JPG

Cheers :)

dsvtss

Reaction score
I just fitted a pioneer head unit to my vt ss, looks great. I would recomend looking on e-bay for head unites, i picked up pioneer DEH-7650MP for $500, these go for nearly $800 plus in retail stores. Worth a look me thinks!!