Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

no idea about spigot bearing

michaelrocks36

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commo series 2
i am in the process of changing my clutch and have been told i need to change my spigot bearing. so i went to my local repco, asked for a spigot bearing and they gave me this little brass wheel. i was told it should be some sort od roller bearing but maybe i have been mistaken. any help would be grateful.
michael

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
spigot bearing (bush) is located in the center of the flywheel, where the manual shaft slides into... i've never heard of changing these when you change the clutch (but i could be mistaken)

what you're after is a "thrust bearing" :) slides between the clutchfork and the pressure plate.

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
spigot bearings are bearings these days. they used to be bushes and didnt need replacing unless you did a input shaft bearing in your gbox and it flogged out the bush.
i would put the new bearing in. you can get the old one out with a puller or a slide hammer or the old fashioned way. You pack the old bearing with as much grease as possible, then you get a piece of wooden dowel or a piece of green tree branch the same size as the input shaft. You then knock the wood into the centre of the bearing and the bearing will slowly come out. You may have to pull the wood out and repack the grease in a couple of times. It sounds harder than it is.

michaelrocks36

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commo series 2
i compared it to the old spigot bush and the old one seems to have a much larger opening than the new one. the new one fits the input shaft alot better than the old one. do you think i should replace it with a bearing of the same dimensions or just put grease in the new bush?

R

Reggie

ok...... this is how it goes. the " spigot" is a bush or bearing. in this case being a vn vp or vr it will be a brass bush. which is located in the rear of the crank. it is there to suport the end of the input shaft . to get the old one out get a piece of solid steel rod that fits exactly in the hole, fill the bush with greese, then put the rod in and hit it hard and sharp with a hammer. this will hydraulically push it out. i sugest whenever you do a clutch always change everything. such as the rear main seal (only if it's leaking of not a rope seal like on the series one vn's.) spigot bush, clutch plate pressure plate and thrust bearing. machine the flywheel, small smear of grease on nose cone and thrust bearing.there is also two tiny rubbers that sit in the clutch fork which keep the thrust bearing central make sure you replace these.

good luck.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
michaelrocks36 said:
i compared it to the old spigot bush and the old one seems to have a much larger opening than the new one. the new one fits the input shaft alot better than the old one. do you think i should replace it with a bearing of the same dimensions or just put grease in the new bush?
Definately change it. if you dont you will have problems later on. It should be a nice fit not loose or hard to get on. Smear your input shaft with grease on the end where it goes into the bearing before you put it in.