Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

no ignition spark

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
with a new battery and lots of cranking the car now starts. But. now there is the sound of something rattling around inside and a very rough idle. God I hope nothing fell in when the manifold was off. I'm pretty sure it didn't. its a two per second sound, maybe something fell behind and on to the front of the gearbox. out comes the torch again

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
when you say, spark plug broke,? what exactly broke, id say its very probable something has dropped into the cylinder,

insaying that though, does the sound come from the very top of the motor? and does it come from where near you had problems with,

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
I didn't witness the drilling out of the plug but it was done by a highly recommended professional. It was then obviously tapped and helicoiled. It sounds like two solid metal pieces connecting, a little too much like a socket for my liking. What is down the holes the intake manifold sits on? it stops and starts so I'm thinking if it went down the plug hole it would be faster and non stop. Please correct me if wrong.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn't witness the drilling out of the plug but it was done by a highly recommended professional. It was then obviously tapped and helicoiled. It sounds like two solid metal pieces connecting, a little too much like a socket for my liking. What is down the holes the intake manifold sits on? it stops and starts so I'm thinking if it went down the plug hole it would be faster and non stop. Please correct me if wrong.

yes it would, and yes if something was down the intake runner sitting against the valve yes it would make the irregular rattle, and willl increase with engine revs, although i wouldnt recommend revving it if there is something sitting there

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
cant see anything in there. does the runner go straight down to the valves? could it have gone under them with the airflow? If yes to number 2 is it a full engine pull apart?

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
All clear. found a 13mm socket behind the engine that was vibrating against a metal plate. After my repeated issues the manifold gasket now has a tear off one of the runner rims. Would this cause a rough engine through the rev range? will it damage the vehicle driving for a few days like this as I'm sick of putting the missus out driving her car

P.S. Thanks andyman for the constant help

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
All clear. found a 13mm socket behind the engine that was vibrating against a metal plate. After my repeated issues the manifold gasket now has a tear off one of the runner rims. Would this cause a rough engine through the rev range? will it damage the vehicle driving for a few days like this as I'm sick of putting the missus out driving her car

P.S. Thanks andyman for the constant help

wont damage the motor if the gasket is cracked, but may make it idle ruff when the motor is producing vacuum, if it does leak

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
changed the gasket with a metal one. (I could only find genuine, $44) and it's heaps better but still not right. I'm guessing that the manifold and runners should not be all oily as this would mean the TB and MAF would probably be the same way. What do you guys recommend to clean them? Common sense says not a hose.

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
Mine has oil around the inlet manifold/plenum gasket.
Probably from the PCV system.
Clean TB with carby cleaner and MAF with electrical
contact cleaner or expensive MAF cleaner.

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
i'm sure aviation grade contact cleaner courtesy of work will do. the runners and manifold are literally caked with burnt oil. Would carby cleaner be alright to clean the whole manifold? bit reluctant to add a potentially flammable substance to an engine inlet. Is this just a natural occurance, because the cars been running rough with the bad gasket or a deeper problem?

sorry to keep going with this but I'm trying to also add some info for the alloytech. More and more members are going to start to get to 120k in their alloytechs and may notice these same issues.