Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] No Oil pressure after oil cooler

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I was under the impression that the gyrator style pump is fairly damn efficient and as long as it it has a coating of oil it should suck and create enough pressure difference to self prime.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I was under the impression that the gyrator style pump is fairly damn efficient and as long as it it has a coating of oil it should suck and create enough pressure difference to self prime.

And adding everything I added shouldn't change that.
Sure there more plumbing for it to pump through, but not from.

My oil pump isn't stuffed if it can still make 60 psi oil pressure correct?
Dead oil pumps make dead oil pressure?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, it would just take longer to prime.

What I wonder about your case, with you winding in pressure adjustment screw so far you may have potentially opened the bypass valve a touch. Now I'm not 100% certain but I'm fairly sure when the bypass opens the excess oil goes back into the inlet side of the pump. If this was indeed the case you would have created an air loop and the pump would have just circulated air in the bypass circuit rather than pulling oil from the sump. This was my primary reason for asking you to wind out the adjustment screw and have everything back to OEM settings.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Screenshot_20210818-152214_compress28.jpg.Screenshot_20210818-152104_compress12.jpg

Wish I had taken a few more photos at different angles.

The bypass hole in the second photo may have been open the first time. By eye it looks close to how much pressure screw out I had set up.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there immortality.

Last edited:

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I'm so confused... How does he get more oil pressure by putting preload on that pressure relief piston and spring...

Like you said about the principles of hydraulics, having the bolt against the piston reduces the surface area so it should make it easier to push the piston, until it's pushed in and cancels that effect out. Less surface area, less work right?
But that would decrease the pressure required to open the bypass.

The only thing I can think of that would cause the bypass to require more pressure is that the BBG block reduces the passage volume to the pressure relief piston, possibly acting as a restriction.

Attachments

• PXL_20210816_062442131_compress3.jpg
    PXL_20210816_062442131_compress3.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 151

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Apparently there's meant to be a ball bearing under the spring?
I didn't find one when I took the spring out...

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure about that?

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Yeah we confirmed theres not meant to be a ball bearing on the spring.

Well that was fun....
Skid pan day.

Broke down 3 times within a 20 min drive from home. Didn't get to the skid pan. Lost 3 hours by the time I finished fixing it the third time and went home.
No dramas all the other times I drove it since the oil cooler mod last weekend. No dramas once I'd given up on getting to the skid pan.

The hose running to the oil 'in' port on the engine came off 3 times... Twice on the ebay fitting, once on the aeroflow taper fitting going to the remote filter housing.
I was watching the oil pressure like a hawk from the moment I started the car so I caught it quick every time. Hit 80 psi under load getting onto the freeway.
Engine off strait away. Re-fit the hose end fittings. Refill the oil.
3 bottles of oil later.. lol
The third time was fun, that was the aeroflow one pointing at the extractors. Nice cloud of smoke.

Tell you what tho, the cheap eBay fittings are great once you throw away the outer shell and chuck a hose clamp on instead.

$320 for 2 skid pan bookings.
$200 for 3 bottles of oil.
0 skids
Just another day in Motorsport.

Also, my missus was pulled up Infront of me in the R34. On the side of the Logan motorway... With a mighty car mods chop sticker on the back of the car. So yeah we got some love from all the hoons, MCM fans, falcons, commodores and imports etc driving past. Lol

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
What brand of AN fittings did you use?