Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No power at ECU in VE

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
Hey guys,

I have a VE that I’ve recently put a rebuilt LS2 into. The harness has been connected and all plugs are plugged in, everything appears to be good to go but I’m not getting any power at my ECU fuses in the fuse box. I had the test light out the other day but it’s only lighting up for about half the fuses in the fuse box, the others appear to have no power. Brand new battery was put in the other day and I’ve checked all other fuses in the boot and inside the car and there isn’t any blown. Anyone got any ideas?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Kinda random, but is the ECU actually bolted in or is it just hanging loose? There's a slight chance it might use the bracketry as an earth.

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
It was bolted in like normal when I discovered the fault but I’ve since removed it and pulled the fuse box out to look at wiring to see what else it could be.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
What fuses haven't got power?
What are they assigned to?
Just the ECU?

Got a model year for this clubby?

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
The ones that are concerning me at the moment are the ones along the very left hand side of the attached photo (F25, F28, F32, F35, F29 & F33) none of those are working BUT the F36 fuse location down the bottom that does nothing is working. There are others that aren’t working but can’t remember exactly which ones at the moment, will have to check again after work today.
All my interior works fine, dash, radio, lights, windows, etc.
I have also tried the fuse box out of my mates 07 GTS and nothing changes, still same issue.

Car is a 07 series 1 VE clubby with LS2 and t56

Attachments

• 57BAB8CC-D9FB-4FAE-910B-6B54D17D84C5.jpeg
    57BAB8CC-D9FB-4FAE-910B-6B54D17D84C5.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 361

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Check the Powertrain Relay R13. See if it's getting B+ power to pins 85 and 30 at all times.....then test if the relay is good. This relay controls this set of fuses power.

Also, just a suggestion, have you attached all of the earthing points back on.....RHS chassis rail ones and drivers side cylinder head at the front.

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
So I’ve checked the power at the R13 relay and it’s only getting power to pins 85 and 87 at all times, no power at pin 30 at all.

Yep all chassis and engine earths are definitely on.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Does the relay test ok?
If you're getting battery voltage at relay terminal pin 85 there should be battery voltage at pin 30. They are on the same circiut..

Have you screwed the fuse panel back in and not just clipped it in?

How are you checking the fuses, with a test light?

Last edited:

VE clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE clubsport
Relay is fine, at the moment I have my mates fuse box from his 07 GTS in there and still no difference.

The fuse box is properly in the car how it would normally be and I’ve run all harnesses how they should be but issue is still occurring.

And yes checking fuses with test light, have also removed all fuses to check to see if they’re blown which none of them are. Removed fuses and used test light to check for power at the box itself where the fuses go and nothing.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Ok, so if what you have tested is giving us this result, the only thing it can be is the inline fuse to the alternator.

Check for power at the positive jump start post in the engine bay passenger side near the left hand shock tower (should hopefully still have the red cover on it).
Stick the probe on the jumpstart terminal and the clamp of the test light to the BODY of the car.
If the test light lights up.....good,
Shift the probe of your test light to the B+ terminal of the alternator, leave the other end of the test light on the BODY of the car(terminal will be the one with the thick red cable with the rubber boot covering the nut)....

Does the test light, light up from the alternator to body of the car......If it doesn't light up, which I'm thinking it wont, you have a blown inline fuse between the battery and alternator.