Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No power to fan heater blower motor!

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
I thought I'd post again with narrowed down problem. I found the connection from loom to fan motor absolutely cooked and melted... amazingly the fan works perfectly still!

BUT! I have found now that I only have 0.02V to the power supply at the fan motor and 0.04 with the car running. I've tried 3 HVAC units. I've swapped out relays and inspected fuses. In the process I now have scored a 'ABS OFF' dummy light which I didn't have before. I have swapped BCM and key with another than is compatible as confirmed by Holden.

Any takers? PLEASE :)

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Get a wiring diagram and trace thru until you find where the volts are stopping.

I use a 24V test lamp as I have found it will light dim on 12 volts but won't show much below. My 12V test light still lights at 6 volts and have been caught out before when checked and all tested good when there was a bad connection.

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Get a wiring diagram and trace thru until you find where the volts are stopping.

I use a 24V test lamp as I have found it will light dim on 12 volts but won't show much below. My 12V test light still lights at 6 volts and have been caught out before when checked and all tested good when there was a bad connection.

Geez this sounds like a pretty big task and maybe one for an auto sparky. I thought it could be covered off with an answer from someone who has had a similar problem. I'm sure I'm not the only unlucky bugger! ...am I?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You are replying to a 4yo thread.

But, IIRC, there are 2 different lots of wiring depending on if the car is fitted with climate control or manual AC. Manual air the blower motor is powered via the dial on the dash and should be fairly easy to find.

It gets interesting with Climate control systems, the climate control panel controls the speed of the heater motor via a resistor that is fitted under the wiper panel sometimes referred to as the porcupine that looks like this,

iu

(random interwebs pic).

A common problem is when this fails you start to loose fan speeds, it can also fail and short leaving the fan motor running even with the ignition turned off and the only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery or pull one of the main fuses.

AliV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Ve sv6 manual
Sorry I’m desperate atm I only just bought mine sv6 and I got no power to the fan and I’ve scoured every inch of this forum and tried every suggestion and still no luck

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
A VE SV6 is very different to a VS V6, nothing in common.

AliV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Ve sv6 manual
Yeah ik I didn’t know if starting my own thread would get a reply that’s all and I haven’t figured out how to yet

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Using this thread will get you nowhere.

I know nothing about VE wiring, not my domain.