Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No power to fuel pump

dkloder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2
Have checked the series of the motors. We have put a series I in and pulled out a Series II. What now??

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Maybe check again the connectors near the PCM. I think that there are three(?). I've been caught before forgetting one of them and one does connect to the fuel pump relay.

If you jumper power and earth to the fuel pump (get the pump working under its own power again) does the car start?

If you jumper the switched side of the fuel pump relay does the pump run (that will tell you if the problem is on the PCM - switching - side or the fuel pump - switched - circuit for the relay)?

Do you have a CEL with the ignition "on", engine off i.e. is the anti-theft allowing the PCM to work? (You can have spark from the DFI without the PCM working).

Have you checked that the fuel pump hoses are the correct way around on the fuel rail i.e. feed not swapped with return (I know you have said that the pump is not getting power but it can't hurt to check everything :) ).

Series I and Series II VR work the same way, both are batch fire, firing the injectors in groups of three but that said, there may be minor differences in the engine wiring harness.

dkloder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2
Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the PCM and CEL?? Between the relay box and the connector at the fuel pump, are there any other plugs or connections in the harness that could have been pulled out by accident, cutting the power to the pump?? Thanks for your help Cheap6. Actually, thanks to everyone for your input so far..

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
PCM is your Powertrain Control Module It examies the fuel, coolant temp, camshaft(if camshaft sensor is there) crankshaft(CAS), Ignition, valve timing, and Air intake. If one of these fails then it will turn on the Check engine light. I suggest you check your MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor) It measures the amount of fuel pressure going into your injectors, if this is stuffed then it will stop the car from firing, will allow it to crank but not fire.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
PCM: Powertrain Control Module - computer
CEL: Check Engine Light - the little orange engine silhouette with the exclamation mark inside it in the row of lights under the instruments.

There is a connector that runs a wire to the fuel pump on the driver's side , behind the kick panel, purple wire but you shouldn't have touched that (did you?).

What happens to the fuel pump when you bridge with a wire the terminals that connect to the fuel pump relay pins 87 and 30, ignition "on" (see the side and underneath of the relay for the pin #'s)? Does the pump run? (Relay oriented as installed to match the pin locations.)

dkloder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2
Well, we found the problem. One of the guys had disconnected a wiring connector above the computer. I can only assume he thought it was connected to the computer itself. Anyway, we plugged it back in and away she went, and out coolant poured from between the radiator and the aircon radiator. Not too sure why, that was never touched. Anyway, main problem solved, and we go tthe fuel pump changed anyway which was bound to fail eventually. Think we have the linkage on backwards on the gearbox, but sending it to the mechanic to tidy up a few lose ends.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
told you dash to engine loom everyone forgets to plug that in LOL

dkloder

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2
yeah, cheers Delco. I was thinking more under the dash near the steering wheel rather than over by the computer. Didnt think anyone got under that part so didnt look LOL

I'll hijack my own thread here. We have a problem with the gear linkage. Not sure which way it goes in. Does the locking bolt face the gearbox or to the outside??

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
told you dash to engine loom everyone forgets to plug that in LOL
Hi delcowizzid im doing a VH with a series one VNV6 in her with the trans andusing the whole vn loom in the car, i to have the problem with my pump not seem to be working and womder if the s1 vns have this plug you were saying of dkloaders vr.
How many wires are involved on this plug so i can look at mine and see if its plugged in i think it is but never know. Best to my knowledge i can hear the fuel pump relay and have even swapped one of the others to check and seems right but the pump has no sound and i checked the four wires at the tank with my test light but nothing?
I also pulled off the supply hose from the tank and put on a short bit into a bottle and cranked the motor but it didnt even pump one bit of fuel, is it power related or is the pump shagged, i would realy like to get the car started soon cheers

Steve2018

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy calais
Well, we found the problem. One of the guys had disconnected a wiring connector above the computer. I can only assume he thought it was connected to the computer itself. Anyway, we plugged it back in and away she went, and out coolant poured from between the radiator and the aircon radiator. Not too sure why, that was never touched. Anyway, main problem solved, and we go tthe fuel pump changed anyway which was bound to fail eventually. Think we have the linkage on backwards on the gearbox, but sending it to the mechanic to tidy up a few lose ends.
What wiring connecter was disconnected mate