Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No radio or a/c

Robbie wa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS series2 sportswagon 6ltr V8
I had to push start my VE SS sportswagon due to flat battery. Now whether its coincidence or not my radio and a/c wont work and no start up screen. Can anyone point me in the right direction of a fix.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2000 Magna
have you tried the old trick of disconnecting the battery for half an hour or so then re-connecting?. It's the equivalent of switching your PC off and on again when it jams up ;)

Robbie wa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that matey ill give that a go. Heres hopin cheers

Robbie wa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate you are a bloody legend. I un hooked battery waited half hour connected it back up and aircon works and so does the radio and start up screen. i hope i can help you out one day. If ya want a carton ill gladly come drop ya one off. Thanks again matey

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2000 Magna
Mate you are a bloody legend. I un hooked battery waited half hour connected it back up and aircon works and so does the radio and start up screen. i hope i can help you out one day. If ya want a carton ill gladly come drop ya one off. Thanks again matey
Anytime mate, glad it worked for you! No need for a slab (although much appreciated anyway), seeing another member back on the road is good enough for me! Cheers mate :)

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Doesn't it say in the manual somewhere not to push start for some reason o_O

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport
Not sure about the VE but the VF has a smart charging system where the alternator is controlled via the BCM which also gets a signal from a current sensor on the battery terminal. So if the volts are too low on a VF, it can selectively shut off systems within the vehicle to allow you to continue to drive (for a while if even if the alternator has packed it in). If the system is able to charge the battery, then all systems will selectively come back to life once the voltage eventually gets back to normal. Disconnecting the battery could simply resets the system but if the battery is still at a low voltage, it may again go into a current save mode.

As I said, I’m not sure if the VE has smart charging like the VF.

What you should do is determine why the battery was so discharged to begin with. Was it simply sitting for a few months and not been driven (charge it up and it will probably be ok). Was it that the battery is not holding charge (get battery tested and replace if faulty). Was it that the that alternator was not charging the battery (check charging circuit, current sensor, bmc, alternator if like VF).

@snortings, general consensus has been to not push start any manual car with a catalytic converter. That’s because there is a small risk that some raw fuel can get into the exhaust system before the engine fires up. And when the engine finally does fire up, that raw fuel in the exhaust can ignite explosively and damage the fragile catalyst. Never had it happen to me and I’ve push started a few older manual cars that had catalytic converters. Never tried to push start an auto as I don’t think it’s possible for a number of reasons.

lmoengnr

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not sure about the VE but the VF has a smart charging system where the alternator is controlled via the BCM which also gets a signal from a current sensor on the battery terminal. So if the volts are too low on a VF, it can selectively shut off systems within the vehicle to allow you to continue to drive (for a while if even if the alternator has packed it in). If the system is able to charge the battery, then all systems will selectively come back to life once the voltage eventually gets back to normal. Disconnecting the battery could simply resets the system but if the battery is still at a low voltage, it may again go into a current save mode.

As I said, I’m not sure if the VE has smart charging like the VF.

What you should do is determine why the battery was so discharged to begin with. Was it simply sitting for a few months and not been driven (charge it up and it will probably be ok). Was it that the battery is not holding charge (get battery tested and replace if faulty). Was it that the that alternator was not charging the battery (check charging circuit, current sensor, bmc, alternator if like VF).

@snortings, general consensus has been to not push start any manual car with a catalytic converter. That’s because there is a small risk that some raw fuel can get into the exhaust system before the engine fires up. And when the engine finally does fire up, that raw fuel in the exhaust can ignite explosively and damage the fragile catalyst. Never had it happen to me and I’ve push started a few older manual cars that had catalytic converters. Never tried to push start an auto as I don’t think it’s possible for a number of reasons.
VE charging system is very similar to the VF system.

Robbie wa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah the manual says not to push start because the unburnt fuel could reach the catalytic converter and ignite. But i wasnt gonna leave my SS in a midland train station car park at midnight .All worked out in the end luckily