Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No refill oil showing on the dipstick

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I just bought it and had the full blown works done by a mechanic but from now on I will service it. Had it for 2000kms so still got a little too go. What do you do? Buy a 5L and 2 x 1L.

Buy 2 x 5 Litre, you'll have about 2.5l left - next service buy 5l and you'll be about right, possible you'll need that little bit more though.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks, I have not put that much in but I put about4 litres in. would that not be enough to show on the dipstick?

its always best to find out the oil/coolant capacity of the engine before doing an oil/coolant change.

when I do my ssv it takes about 7.6 ltr for a change, when I refill it I put 7 ltrs in and let it settle then I will top up the other ><600ml to the full line.

Righto; I put a few more litres in and now its way over full. Dont know what happened there. The level is about half inch over the top.

How do i get the excess out? Thanks

to get the oil out take the sump plug out and let some oil out and put the plug back in then retest the dipstick until you have the right level

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
The books that come with your car tell you exactly the capacity of the sump and the correct oil to use.......Did you read your books???????????

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
The books that come with your car tell you exactly the capacity of the sump and the correct oil to use.......Did you read your books???????????

No book was supplied with my car. I have tried sourcing another one however as you can imagine if I get one that means another car is missing it's books. And wreckers tend not to have books as insurance companies usually destroy them when a vehicle is written off.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah buy 2 of the 5 litre bottles or a 10L or 20L if you really want to. I just wait until i see the 5 Litres at a good price and grab 2. Then when its getting close to your next service time look out for another sale... One of the everyday Synthetic varieties would be much safer to use. Most of the big auto stores now have little computers at the oil rack which will help you select the right oils to use in your car with just a few clicks of make and model etc
Mobil Super 1000 is a Mineral oil and not what is recommended for your Alloytec engine. I wouldn't use it, certainly wouldn't leave it in there for the full 15000 k service interval. If you do that you will have serious issues with sludge very quickly.
Have a read of all the threads in the VZ and VE sections on engine sludge. It's not pretty.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Most of the big auto stores now have little computers at the oil rack which will help you select the right oils to use in your car with just a few clicks of make and model etc

a lot of the oil manufacturers websites also have the oil find/selector option too.

if the op really wants mobil oil use this page, select vehicle model/type etc and it will tell you the capacity and mobil oil to use.
Mobil Australia - NetLube

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I just noticed the OP put the totally incorrect oil into his VE.
Please OP empty that oil out and replace it with high quality 5w-30 oil. It is very important for the life of that complex engine.
I notice for whatever reason you purchased your VE without the books that do tell you the correct oil to use, it even tells you 5w-30 on the oil filler cap so why would you have not even taken notice of that information?

mitchy_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Senator SV08
Yeah buy 2 of the 5 litre bottles or a 10L or 20L if you really want to. I just wait until i see the 5 Litres at a good price and grab 2. Then when its getting close to your next service time look out for another sale... One of the everyday Synthetic varieties would be much safer to use. Most of the big auto stores now have little computers at the oil rack which will help you select the right oils to use in your car with just a few clicks of make and model etc
Mobil Super 1000 is a Mineral oil and not what is recommended for your Alloytec engine. I wouldn't use it, certainly wouldn't leave it in there for the full 15000 k service interval. If you do that you will have serious issues with sludge very quickly.
Have a read of all the threads in the VZ and VE sections on engine sludge. It's not pretty.

definitely the best way, the 1L bottles are too expensive. fortunately my 3 cars require the same oil and total up to 19.9L, so 4 bottles when they are on special sorts me out.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I just noticed the OP put the totally incorrect oil into his VE.
Please OP empty that oil out and replace it with high quality 5w-30 oil. It is very important for the life of that complex engine.
I notice for whatever reason you purchased your VE without the books that do tell you the correct oil to use, it even tells you 5w-30 on the oil filler cap so why would you have not even taken notice of that information?

I agree , Mobil 1000 , is not the correct oil to use , drain it out and replace with Dexos approved 5W 30 oil , and it'll save you in the long run

cwill624

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Sv6 60th Anniversary Ute
Definitely go synthetic, better engine life and the car runs a lot nicer + better fuel economy and less heat
Synthetic is not even that expensive, i got 7l of Nulon full synthetic for mine for $65 including a filter
For that price its worth changing oil every 7500 km's!!