Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No servicing will void my warranty?

RTSV6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director build number 332..."CALDIR"
When i bought my MSE, i specifically told the dealer that i would hardly drive the car, maybe 2000 kms per year. if you didn't want kms on your car, you could have got the dealer to come and tow the vehicle and bring it back as part of the rocker recall. And while they had it they could have done the 9m service... But the buggers don't tell people that they were entitled to a tow... but as mentioned, better to drive it...

Hi

Thanks Skylarking for your response.

I purchased my Director interstate and informed the selling dealership that my vehicle will be kept in storage and most likely won't be putting any more than 1,500k's per year on it and sometimes it may not put any k's on at all for the year. The response I received via email was that it would be best to put the battery on a trickle charger of which I have done.

I was happy to drive my car to the dealer that performed the service/rocker arm replacement as I wanted to speak to the service manager directly before handing my keys over and told them to give the car back to me in the same or better condition than the car was at time of me handing the keys over to them. It was at this point in time that the service manager remembered who I was from many moons ago and it showed as my car was kept in what is known as "dead mans corner" when I returned to pick it up.

Don't think I would have received the same care and attention had the car just been delivered on a tilt tray and had it received any damage everybody would have pointed fingers at each other.

Regards,

RTSV6UTE

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... I purchased my Director interstate and informed the selling dealership that my vehicle will be kept in storage and most likely won't be putting any more than 1,500k's per year on it and sometimes it may not put any k's on at all for the year. The response I received via email was that it would be best to put the battery on a trickle charger of which I have done....
Great you have something in writing... but I’d still drive it...

I was happy to drive my car to the dealer that performed the service/rocker arm replacement as I wanted to speak to the service manager directly before handing my keys over and told them to give the car back to me in the same or better condition than the car was at time of me handing the keys over to them. It was at this point in time that the service manager remembered who I was from many moons ago and it showed as my car was kept in what is known as "dead mans corner" when I returned to pick it up....
They may have still taken it for a thrash before parking it...
Don't think I would have received the same care and attention had the car just been delivered on a tilt tray and had it received any damage everybody would have pointed fingers at each other.

Regards,

RTSV6UTE
True about the finger pointing but remember, it’s just a car... so better to use it more regularly...:cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Unless you say "I want to drive it as little as possible and not service it regularly" then you can't complain it's not "fit for purpose". Warranty won't be rejected on the basis of low kms, it will be rejected on the basis of not correctly servicing (9 months or 15k).

You can express your use cases all you want, it won't change required service intervals. Unless lack of driving specifically causes a non-warrantable failure (it won't) then you don't have a leg to stand on re: consumer law.

Fail to service appropriately and have a claim rejected on that basis, guess what, still don't have a leg to stand on. Cry all you want.
If you buy any product and tell the seller what you expect to do with it, then if it can’t do what you expected, that by definition is not fit for intended purpose according to ACL.

Obviously the seller could have stated you still need to service it according to manufacturer’s recommendations in which case it’s mute. But if they say nothing then they potentially open up liability.

A manufacture can have their rules but most people don’t buy direct from the manufacturer and that is why the seller and purchaser are referenced in ACL. And the manufacturer can deny a claim for lack of service according to their rules but in this case the seller may still has obligations under ACL if such requirements were not mentioned.

In any case it’s not relevant for me as I use my MSE more than originally intended so no need for me to cry :)

You can disagree with ACL all you like but until such a specific case is judged in law, I’ll take my read to be the correct interpretation ;)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I made the mistake of buying a low kay early model car a few years back....By low kays I'm talking 120,00 K on a car that was built in 1973...It had been sitting for 10 years....Yes reguarly started, but not driven.

After rebuilding the front end, it was time for the brakes and auto gearbox + one engine rebuild. Didn't turn out to be a bargain after all

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
When i bought my MSE, i specifically told the dealer that i would hardly drive the car, maybe 2000 kms per year . Yet he mentioned nothing about still requiring service at 9 months 15000kms whichever came first. He didn't mention anything until delivery when he mentioned he'll see me for the one month free inspection.... Guess in this case it may be the vehicle is "not fit for my intended purpose" as i did explain my use case to them. So, if some issue occurs it will be an interesting case if they try and blame it on low kms...

Really, the dealers need to be more aware of the law, especially when people express their use cases, as it's not simply as do the service or your manufacturers warranty is dust... you still have your implied warranty as provided in law AND that depends on the discussions at hand when purchasing it...

Still, from an engineering point, it's better to use the vehicle and do services by the book, just not always at a Holden dealer.

PS to OP: if you didn't want kms on your car, you could have got the dealer to come and tow the vehicle and bring it back as part of the rocker recall. And while they had it they could have done the 9m service... But the buggers don't tell people that they were entitled to a tow... but as mentioned, better to drive it...
I told the dealer I was using mine purely as a chick magnet. Now I may be a bit rusty and the ladies around my way a bit on the non ferrous side, but not one has stuck. Nada. I've been ripped.
Holden gimme my money back
Too funny @Skylarking. Mate I pity any poor bastard that sells you anything. The lengths your mind goes to, trying to find someone to blame for things that have not even happened is hilarious ;)

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
FB_IMG_1525780836089.jpg

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
When i bought my MSE, i specifically told the dealer that i would hardly drive the car, maybe 2000 kms per year . Yet he mentioned nothing about still requiring service at 9 months 15000kms whichever came first.
To be fair, that would pretty firmly fit within the bounds of “general knowledge”.

Especially the petrol, it goes off and evaporates.
Effectively loses octane ... I wouldn’t leave anything in any car of mine for more than a month, maybe a couple if I’m only driving it really carefully.

WeeGee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG S-Pack Ute M5 (L27) and VF2 SS A6 (LS3)
Why pay all that rego for years to come - Seriously do you even need rego? Just trailer it to where you need work done. Although I like low Kms theory, mine is only at 4,000km and is mid-2016 built.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I told the dealer I was using mine purely as a chick magnet. Now I may be a bit rusty and the ladies around my way a bit on the non ferrous side, but not one has stuck. Nada. I've been ripped.

That would explain the calls I get from your dealer.

I've told them time and again that I'm not female but the money you're offering is sort of getting me interested...

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Engine oil is NOT hygroscopic. Oil and water don't mix. The moisture which collects in an unused engine is condensation caused by the cooling of the engine after it has been running.
It is brake fluid which is hygroscopic.
Yep. There’s even many tests to related what type and how much. In the Navy, there is FTIR testing. Oily water separators are the worst job to clean up.

Read up on it here:
https://www.azic.com/moisture-in-oils-the-three-headedbeast/