Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No servicing will void my warranty?

Deucefanny

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 VFII Redline
Baaaahahahahaha!
I was just about to say that. Who cares drive the **** out of it. I have several cars and bikes old and new and I drive/ride them all (one at a time). That's the fun part. I mean if ya missus was lying naked on the bed ya wouldn't just look at her... would ya?

RTSV6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Director build number 332..."CALDIR"
I would say on that basis we can undertake 12 months servicing without getting penalised with warranty.

Hi

After conversing with a Holden dealership today, yes you are most certainly correct.

However I was also informed that should someone choose to purchase a car and put it away in storage, not service it and something like the dashboard cracks, seat trim comes apart, or a black coloured side mould on the Director doors fall off, Holden would be in a position to cover those types of items under warranty.

Regards,

RTSv6UTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl v8 commodore
Hi

After conversing with a Holden dealership today, yes you are most certainly correct.

However I was also informed that should someone choose to purchase a car and put it away in storage, not service it and something like the dashboard cracks, seat trim comes apart, or a black coloured side mould on the Director doors fall off, Holden would be in a position to cover those types of items under warranty.

Regards,

RTSv6UTE

if you never serviced it you have broken your legal warranty contract with holden, and would not have a leg to stand on
what a dealers say and holden do are two different things , be carefull
you only live once, and life is so short you should drive and enjoy your car as much as you can
why save it for someone else to drive and enjoy

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Quote from Holden Website on Lifetime Capped Price servicing:

‘Service Due Date means, in relation to a Nominated Period, the date which is no later than 90 days after:

1. the service due date specified in the log book contained in the Service and Warranty Booklet for that Eligible Vehicle; or
  2. where no Service and Warranty Booklet is available (including for Older Model Holden Vehicles), 12 months from the last service date.’

I would say on that basis we can undertake 12 months servicing without getting penalised with warranty.
I presume you're getting the 12 months from the 9-monthly servicing which is in the Service & Warranty Booklet that is available for VF's, plus 90 days?

But is that about eligibility for capped-price servicing, rather than the requirements for servicing to retain warranty?

what a dealers say and holden do are two different things , be careful
So if I try to put in a warranty claim with Holden for my MSE not having a shorter gear-stick, I won't get anywhere?!

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
if you never serviced it you have broken your legal warranty contract with holden, and would not have a leg to stand on
what a dealers say and holden do are two different things , be carefull
you only live once, and life is so short you should drive and enjoy your car as much as you can
why save it for someone else to drive and enjoy

He definitely would have legs to stand on as any thing Holden says or any warranty written or implied is overruled by consumer law.

Unusual cracking and deterioration of paintwork, interior and cosmetic parts in a stored car would be under warranty no different to a driven car regardless of the vehicle's mechanical servicing history.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Unusual cracking and deterioration of paintwork, interior and cosmetic parts in a stored car would be under warranty no different to a driven car regardless of the vehicle's mechanical servicing history.
Yeah I'd agree with this ... although the way Holden has managed their reputation, the "average consumer" if quizzed would probably answer that cracking & deterioration of paintwork, interior & cosmetic parts in a 2.5yo Holden was normal ... :(

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
People seem to confuse manufacture warranty with their statuatory warranty under law. They are two different and separate things.

You can be screwed by either if you don’t have your ducks in a row when putting a claim forward as is evident in the Ford double clutch gearbox fiasco recently settled by the courts.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So if I try to put in a warranty claim with Holden for my MSE not having a shorter gear-stick, I won't get anywhere?!
Correct, you’d get nowhere with the Holden manufacturers warranty BUT you likely have a claim towards the selling dealer under ACL for misrepresentations the product if they said it was a shorter gear leaver during the purchase negotiations. End result may be a short shift kit thrown in by the dealer to meet the representations made to you.

Last edited:

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I presume you're getting the 12 months from the 9-monthly servicing which is in the Service & Warranty Booklet that is available for VF's, plus 90 days?

But is that about eligibility for capped-price servicing, rather than the requirements for servicing to retain warranty?

Correct but to be honest the lack of service is not covered in their online warranty terms and conditions PDF doc, and certainly not under ‘warranty exclusions’.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Correct, you’d get nowhere with the Holden manufacturers warranty BUT you likely have a claim towards the selling dealer under ACL for misrepresentations the product if they said it was a shorter gear leaver during the purchase negotiations. End result may be a short shift kit thrown in by the dealer to meet the representations made to you.
If you made 'em write it down I can see a point here; but if any such claim comes down to "he says vs she says" with no proof (other than the fact that it's not listed as a Thing in any documentation or advertising), surely that wouldn't get anywhere?