Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No sound from speakers with amp connected

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hi All

Apologies but another amature question and try and stop laughing and puking before you answer. I picked up the pictured BOSS amp and a set of BOSS 6 x 9in 4 way speakers for $43. I have read reviews etc so I don't need to hear how shite BOSS stuff is but I'm not young and I'm not into doof doof music, I just want something reasonably loud and to have a play at the install myself. I don't want a sub and I don't want advice on getting rid of this and that, I'm just having a play and any useful advice would be appreciated. The car already had everything running to the boot when I got it and the wiring looks good. I have hooked the amp up as can be seen in the pics and I get power to the amp when I turn the car on and I can feel the music going through the speakers as in the bass vibration etc but I am not hearing any sounds. All I have done is laid the system out in the boot prior to install to make sure things work. I will be using better wiring etc, this is purely to make sure everything works before I attempt to mount things. Can anyone see any screw ups I have done that I am not getting sound. Much appreciated.

101_1859.jpg

101_1865.jpg

101_1866.jpg

101_1867.jpg

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Have you got the LPF filter switch on? It's to the right of your final picture.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Thanks StoneX, all the settings are as can be seen below. I'm sorry I can't be more help, I have never had an amp in a car and there were no manuals with it. I tried to search for BOSS stuff but it must be that cheap they just don't bother.

Sorry I realised when I looked at the picture that the LPF switch is not on, the switch on the X-over is set to FULL if that is what you mean. What does this indicate, I don't understand the X-over but I will try changing it to see what happens. Thanks.

101_1860.jpg

Oldskool

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Holden VX Commodore
X over = bridging.
FULL = all bass, mid, treble will play through speakers if selected.
LPF = lower frequancy mean bass sounds which is 80mhz n under all bass frequancys.
Make sure power light comes on on the amp, if it does u might have to select the amp from ya head unit n turn it on.
Also make sure ya RCA cables power the same speaker channels u have the speakers plugged into.

Aussievtv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss HOLDEN 304
Just out of curiosity what head unit are you running?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Thanks StoneX, all the settings are as can be seen below. I'm sorry I can't be more help, I have never had an amp in a car and there were no manuals with it. I tried to search for BOSS stuff but it must be that cheap they just don't bother.

Sorry I realised when I looked at the picture that the LPF switch is not on, the switch on the X-over is set to FULL if that is what you mean. What does this indicate, I don't understand the X-over but I will try changing it to see what happens. Thanks.

[picture]

Yeah, that switch should be set to FULL (for full range sound). If you set it to LPF then only low frequencies (bass) come through which is what I thought you were getting.

Does the noise coming from your speakers sound like the bass from the music?

As asked by Aussievtv8, what headunit/CD player are you using?

Which RCA sockets are your RCA leads connected to on your head unit? Sometimes they have FRONT, REAR, SUB. You could possibly have it plugged into SUB. Others have FRONT and REAR/SUB as one set that can be set to output full range sound or just low frequencies for a sub. That's something else to check.

X over = bridging.
FULL = all bass, mid, treble will play through speakers if selected.
LPF = lower frequancy mean bass sounds which is 80mhz n under all bass frequancys.
Make sure power light comes on on the amp, if it does u might have to select the amp from ya head unit n turn it on.
Also make sure ya RCA cables power the same speaker channels u have the speakers plugged into.

What? A crossover is a filter that cuts off a range of audio frequencies. The rest of your post is correct by the red bit is just wrong.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
one thing and i just noticed, and im not sure if this will affect the OPs problem or not, but in the third picture in the original thread, it looks as if one of the fuses is pulled out?

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
one thing and i just noticed, and im not sure if this will affect the OPs problem or not, but in the third picture in the original thread, it looks as if one of the fuses is pulled out?

if you look closer it is actually just one fuse lol