Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No sound from speakers with amp connected

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hi Techo's

Thanks for the input to date, finally able to get into the car this morning, checked RCA leads, coming from head unit R/Sub out to input channels on amp then just normal speaker wire to correct - and + on the speakers. Am definately getting power into the speakers but what I have noticed is this. I pulled the head unit out and when the sides of the head unit touch the metal sides of the dash. I get a heap of feedback/static through the speakers and when I take it off the metal, the static goes away but still no music through the speakers. I thought it might have been the ground for the amp so I changed the ground mounting point but still the same. Could this be something to do with the actual stereo wiring. I haven't changed any of this from the previous owner and it all worked fine with just standard front and rear speakers so I'm not sure. Can anyone make anything of this. Thanks, Glenn.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
plug something else directly into the amp...

ipod, phone, etc, just to confirm it works..

Pioneer headunit by any chance? ;)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
You pretty much answered you own question and haven't answered our question... We asked what head unit you have twice.

I told you that some head units have Rear/Sub RCA output which can be set to either rear or sub... Change the setting in the head unit so it's set to REAR.

Your static issue sounds like you've got poor grounds (head unit and/or amp) or damaged the head unit.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Sorry I posted what type of head unit it was the other night but now I look again, it's not there so I must have been half asleep. It's a pioneer DEH-4350UB. I'll try and find how to change those settings and let you know. The head deck has worked fine to date and he did have it hooked up with sub prior so I can only assume it's okay. Will keep all posted and thanks again.

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Have been through all the functions on the head unit and cannot find how to change the setting from rear to sub. The instruction manual indicates this function is supported through this unit and shows how to do it, but when I go through the steps it says, the menu item is not in the unit. Is is possible to blow RCA leads. Looking at how everything else appears to be working on all units, and I hear the static when I pull the leads I wondering if that might be it. This is extremely annoying for something that seems so straight forward.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
pioneer headunits blow a small fuse on the RCA ground in the headunit...
but normally it results in a lot of interference, or whine through the speakers... but the music can still be heard...

have you tried plugging a different source unit (ipod, phone, etc) into the amp?

xr6eta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Sorry AmmoJammo I picked up on you writing that earlier, this is probably a stupid question but how do you plug something else into the amp. Am willing to try anything at this stage. Kept playing all afternoon with no luck, when the head deck is not secured and not touching anything metal, there is nothing through the speakers at all but as soon as you rub it against metal, the static crackling sounds come through loud and clear. Tried new earths ground back to bare metal, nothing, tried swapping RCA leads round and nothing, didn't have another set of leads to try so it's about all I have left before thinking something is broken. Will keep posted. By the way do I need bigger fuses or does the amp fuse suffice. When I got the car most of the fuses were 30a which is why I think some other things are blown as well. I have changed all of them back to what they should be but I thought I had better mention it in case it might have blown something in the head unit that he didn't tell me about.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Have been through all the functions on the head unit and cannot find how to change the setting from rear to sub. The instruction manual indicates this function is supported through this unit and shows how to do it, but when I go through the steps it says, the menu item is not in the unit. Is is possible to blow RCA leads. Looking at how everything else appears to be working on all units, and I hear the static when I pull the leads I wondering if that might be it. This is extremely annoying for something that seems so straight forward.
- Ignition on
- Turn head unit off by holding the SRC button until it turns off
- Press the main knob in until the initial settings menu appears
- Turn knob until you find SW CONTROL
- Press knob to go into that menu
- Turn knob to select PREOUT
- Press knob
- Turn knob to PREOUT:REA
- Press knob
- Turn head unit on

Have sound?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Sorry AmmoJammo I picked up on you writing that earlier, this is probably a stupid question but how do you plug something else into the amp. Am willing to try anything at this stage.

best way to plug something else into the amp is get a 3.5mm headphone jack split into the L&R RCAs, then just use your ipod or music player