Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No spark - can someone help me fix it?

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
Hey everyone, again, funny how I just posted a thread about my dizzy, i didn't touch it but now my car has no spark at all. i was just driving along, temp got up to 3/4 so i pulled over, turns out the clutch fan was just taking it's time to kick in and temp started stabilizing. there was some form of ticking coming from the engine, but i thought i'd worry about that later. i started to drive up the road then the car just died on me. so i'm not sure exactly what it is, dizzy, ignition module... don't really want to take it to a mechanics as i would be up for a lot of money.

i was wondering if anyone would like to help me diagnose and fix my car? i'll definitely pay, just let me know how much you want. i really want to make sure that a proper job is done fixing it. I'm not very technical minded, I wouldn't be able to do anything myself (especially not the dizzy...)

i live in somerville so you'd have to come here. i have a timing light but not much else, so you'd really need to bring some tools. hell i can even pick you up in my mums car so you don't have to drive (wherever you live!). this weekend would be good, but i'm free monday and tuesday all day, then the other days i work 5pm to 1am.

hopefully someone will be able to help me, i'd really appreciate it :)

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
ok so u were driving when car died.......... mine did similar once before...

coil - cheapest option......
ignition module -- hell expensive
dizzy cap or rotor problem.... cheap...

if you have no spark to all 8 leads id be more inclined to say ignition module or coil, but replace coil 1st coz its like 50 dollars as opposed to like 400 for the ignition module...

if u have spark to some but not others be more inclined to say timing is way out somehow.......

mine turned out to be 2 things......
ignition module and rotor... my rotor was completely naffed and was causing car to backfire, just unlucky they both went in the space of a coupla days

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The rotor probably caused the module to die, the coil and module do the same, too much stress somewhere else seems to kill it

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
how about this - after the car died, i found that one of the spark leads had come off (the one that goes to the cylinder behind cylinder 1, forgot the order). could that have contributed?

don't think any of the cylinders have spark - but apparently there is a tiny spark at the dizzy (according to racv). so this means my hall effect sensor is ok. apparently, just going off what they said.

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
check for a loose contact on dizzy. try swaping leads, maybe dizzy to coil ht lead has died.
normal trick clean everything.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
How many months have you been driving around in a 7 cylinder 304 :)? might explain some lack of power. it will most likely be the module, if you are lucky it's just the solder joint on the transistor but replace the coil anyway, it's allways good to have a new one, there's allways been an issue with your car and I'd say it's finally letting you know what that is

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
lol... a rare 266ci V7 VP

Hope to hell that it's the coil :) I was lucky to never have any issues with the spark in my old 304.. although I did pick up a weird amount of power from a new dizzy cap and rotor...

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
They all pick up 20 rwkw from fixing worn out spark parts: )

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
no one to help though? :(

i'll check out the coil, where is it on a 304? (now you know why i need help :p)

also, can't believe it, my car has been on the naturestrip for 5 hours and some worthless piece of **** already egged it... what the **** is wrong with people these days? makes me wonder why i even bother living.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
no one to help though? :(

i'll check out the coil, where is it on a 304? (now you know why i need help :p)

also, can't believe it, my car has been on the naturestrip for 5 hours and some worthless piece of **** already egged it... what the **** is wrong with people these days? makes me wonder why i even bother living.

I'll help if you can get me there from WA :p

Why bother living? Easy. To not be a worthless piece of ****, and improve the world's ratio.

Polish that egg **** off man, it'll ruin the paint if you leave it to sit for too long. Wash it, polish it, wax it.