Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No spark - can someone help me fix it?

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i washed it off, i should really polish my car though. never done it once - paint is already crap anyway :p

and thanks to jason, i'm feeling pretty confident now. tomorrow will be full of a new coil and ignition module fixing :)

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
i would also say coil. would help if someone with a 5 litre dropped by your place and swapped coils to test

mine did something similar. coil got a crack in it, and it would just die on me, mostly at traffic lights. strange thing is, on the day it died, one of my ignition leads also came off somehow :p. but yeah, it would then try to start, but would get no where, as the crack was causing the coil to earth out to the firewall

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
coils are easy to change. they are on the passenger side of the firewall, fairly close to the dizzy.

ignition modules are easily swapped over with somebody else that has a 5L vn-vs(im assuming they are the same throughout) to check if its that or not.

my hall effect sensor and ignition module went at the same time in my old ss. that was fun working that one out.

Vt-Brrrlina

vp bt1 gts replica
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp bt1 5.0ltr full GTS kit
yep the coil is attached to the back of the engine passenger side between engine and firewall,,, bitch of a job to get out and worse to get back in , , i bought an aftermarket one and fitted it to the firewall, now is easy to get to and the wires for the coil reach easily enough. but yeh coil is by far the cheapest option besides dizzy cap and rotor,

and yeh if leads in the wrong spot it makes a HUGE difference car wont go.....

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
awesome day so far. i tried to get the coil out - fail. then i had a look at the ignition module to see if there was anything to fix in it - another fail.

anyone with a 5ltr want to help me swap some parts over? $$$ is on offer... i don't think i was cut out to work on cars :p

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Did you change the coil later in the day? It's only held on with one bolt :? falls off pretty easy

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i gave up :(

is that the bolt at the top of it, to the engine? btw: looks like it's one of those black bosch ones, doesn't look that old either... do they have a tendency to fail, or would you lean more towards ignition module now?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
if u end up gettin 2 the ignition module repco does refirbished 1ns 4 like $150 but u have 2 give them urs in exchange.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you could risk leaving the coil on but it could fry a new module if the coil is at fault

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yep change them both as a pair other wise the other often craps out soon afterwards