Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise under Inlet Manifold

Makalaza

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commodore Ute S1 / VX Executive Sedan S2
Hi everyone
When i turn the key to start the VX, I hear a clicking noise that last for a few seconds coming from under the inlet manifold. It happens when the key is turned to On and when I turn it Off (I don't start the car either). Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers Mark

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Hi everyone
When i turn the key to start the VX, I hear a clicking noise that last for a few seconds coming from under the inlet manifold. It happens when the key is turned to On and when I turn it Off (I don't start the car either). Anyone got any ideas?
Cheers Mark

Have you tried starting it , I’d say it’s the injectors priming

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
so is it a ecotech or L67 s/c engine? and don't try start it actualy do kick the engine over if it is the injectors you will wear them out quicker if its not you will be flooding the engine ether way little more info as to what going on as well is there a engine light on if the injectors are ticking its probably time to change them how many kms on the injectors did you have them done while you owned said car?

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
reason i say they need changing is injectors should humm quietly priming the engine not ticking

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
The clicking will be the IAC just moving/adjusting or relays turning on. I don't believe the injectors open on reds, until you kick the engine over

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
reason i say they need changing is injectors should humm quietly priming the engine not ticking

I don't think injectors hum at all. When they open/close they do make a click, this is normal because they open/close very quickly. Normally on a fully sequential engine you don't hear it because each injector is firing individually but on the older V6's when all 6 open at once it is very noticeable. If you use a stethoscope on the injectors you will definitely hear them click as they operate. This is good. When the engine is off and you turn the key on with the bonnet open you are likely to hear it as all the injectors fire together to prime the engine (the PCM can't go into full sequential mode until it has received all the correct timing signals from the cam and crank sensors).

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
than whats that hum i hear as soon as i turn my ignition on in both a v8 and 6? its sure not water from window washers

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fuel pump?

Brysha89

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman L98 6.0ltr
im going to open the bonnet and see if its there or fuel pump on both and see whats the go cause i swaer i hear it under the bonnet not in the rear where fuel pump is :)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Put a long screw driver to an injector and the handle to your ear when the engine is running and you will an unmistakeable tick or click depending on your point of view. Fuel injectors don't hum, the operate like a switch on and off which is measured in milliseconds (injector pulse width).