Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise When Clutch Is Engaged

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
I have a noise that occurs when the clutch is engaged, with engine on. So far it has been mostly noticeable when the car has been started and sitting idle or when idling in general (at stops etc). It doesn't seem to be noticeable when moving/driving. The noise is quite audible even from outside the car. Sometimes gears can be difficult to get into but I haven't had any major trouble so far.

There is also a clunking noise when shifting up in gears although shifting down is smooth and quiet. As far as my research goes this is a normal occurrence. But lately I have also been hearing a rattling sound as well.

Car is a 2000 VX V6 Commodore with almost 200,000km. Only purchased it a few weeks ago and previous owner did not take care of it (in fact it may have been thrashed a lot). There was no service history and he couldn't tell me if the clutch had been replaced or not. Given that the revs move up slightly when shifting up I am assuming it still has a genuine clutch with dual mass flywheel.

Have already spent over $1000 in parts getting this car running nicely and with the tax returns coming in sometime soon I won't mind spending a few extra dollars getting it to run even better. Can anyone tell me the problem. I was thinking maybe the clutch and universal joints?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Sounds to me, most likely the throwout bearing rattling along the pressure plate fingers and pawls of the clutch fork.

Honestly, I'd purchase a new clutch kit and spigot bearing and replace the clutch. Could even be worthwhile changing to a solid flywheel set up.

Replace and bleed the clutch fluid as well during the change out, because like you said, you don't know the service history.

If you are going to attempt the repairs yourself, I'd spend the time to inspect the whole undercarriage for any irregularites. Or, ask the mechanic you take it to, to inspect it.

Good luck.

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
Thanks.

Educated my girlfriend on the difference between DMF and SMF with the Holden and she would rather spend the extra money on the DMF. Her clutch skills aren't great and she is liking the smooth transition in gears on the Holden due to it holding its revs. She also doesn't like heavy clutches nor the idea that SMF will probably cause extra cabin noise from the gearbox.

Do the DMF clutch kit come with the flywheel? And will I need to get the spigot bearing separately?

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
Got quoted for a new flywheel and clutch kit from Holden. Over $2100 for parts alone not including the spigot bearing. Think I may just go for the solid flywheel conversion as that is way to expensive for me.

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
wow 2100! I paid 850 for my Solid Flywheel Conversion kit, included clutch, flywheel, spigot, and some other circular item (id say its what K-BAGZ said). Drives much better. Also as you would always do while everything is out change the rear main, also id advise changing the plate at the back of the motor (seperates water and oil), as my gasket was almost gone and the plate had some major wear and tear. All up cost me around 1700-1900 fitted by my mechanic. So I wouldn't recommend going with Holden and the price you said. If your in Melbourne google McQueen Motorsport that's who I got my clutch kit from (a friend of mine, mate owns it, unsure if I got a discount but even if I did it wouldn't have been much). But at the end of the day your best sticking with your budget and someone with knowledge of the job. Cheers.

inSight

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VX
Can most likely do the job myself. Won't be my first clutch change but will be my first conversion kit.

I was also planning to do the rear main seal but wasn't sure. Just did the oil and coolant so it would be a pain to do again.

Think I might wait it out until the next oil change and service the car than.

You said the car drives better. Mind explaining? I've heard the ride is more harsh, noise is worse and a rattle below 1500rpm where I spend a lot of my time. I understand reliability and performance is improved though.

Right now gear changes are smooth with the dual mass flywheel and while I don't mind voiding this for a better clutch my girlfriend does not. So I'm at a bit of a loss and not sure what to do.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
You should also replace the gearbox oil while you're at it, should reduce some noise and can improve gear selection. No point having a fancy new clutch installed when the gearbox itself is still grinding.

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
When I would shift gears while releasing the clutch there was a minor lag (nothing noticeable really but I'm jumping in a vt with a feather clutch compared to all my vn's and vp's with heavy duty clutches) also take off is smooth but also ops for laziness and sometimes riding the clutch (particularly women). With the solid fly wheel conversion it's more of a firm take off and gear change (which is what I like) but each to their own