Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noise when cold starting vf calais

Jimmycrackcorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Hi was wondering if anyone could help I get a noise like a chattering for a couple of seconds when starting my calais for the first time in the day after engine has just started on my 2014 vf v6 but if I start it again no problem. Thought it may be starter related but not sure. Thanks in advance.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Can you post a video/soundclip? From the limited info you've provided, I'd take a blind stab and say it sounds like an oil feed issue to the top end, given that it only happens on the very first startup of the day. Has it been serviced regularly with correct grade oil? The SIDI engines NEED to be serviced on time, every time. There are actually some reports of owners doing a mid-schedule oil change to prevent sludging, which they are known for.

These engines also had timing chain issues early on. I'd be surprised if this is the issue, but you may have a rogue one. Get it looked at by a competent mechanic before you do any damage to it.

tallman5353

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Karma VF Calais V6
Mine does it too. Doesn't last for more than around 10 seconds.
I believe it is something to do with the injectors firing more fuel into the engine to get the catalytic converters up to temperature (for emissions). The injectors on these engines have rather loud rattle as they are Direct Injection with super high PSI.

Jimmycrackcorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Thanks for your replies I will try and upload a video to make my explanation a little clearer.

Jimmycrackcorn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
If you could type in “Vf V6 noise when starting” into utube search and scroll through results until you see white J in green circle with Jim B in description I have posted video there.I look forward to your input. Thanks.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You mean this video?