Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

noise/whine

crelok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
hey all,had new rotors and pads etc in for a while now,brakes are still fine.But recently when braking (every now and then) there is a whine howling when braking,usually around 90-80k`s and it remains till i take foot off ...there is no noise when driving etc just under brakes.It does not sound like brakes but i do not know.any ideas would be appreciated.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Did you break the new pads in?
Find a 100kph zone with no traffic behind you, brake moderate to heavy from 100kph to 50 kph. Repeat 5 - 8 times.
Otherwise may be a resonance from (shims and/or pins) vibrating.

crelok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
yeh,did the pads properly etc,all new grease in pins,its like a spool noise or howl while slowing.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Did you machine the Disks ?, before installing the Brake Pads ?

Could even be the Hubs, have they been replaced ?, being a VR -VS, they are getting on, and probably done a few k's.

crelok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
all new rotors and front and rear.the hubs could be needing a change but the noise is only while braking at a certain speed and imo i think the hubs would make a noise with or without brakes?

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Not the tyres is it? Brakes don't howl they squeal, whine sign of wheel bearing, maybe due to extra force while braking.

crelok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
Not the tyres is it? Brakes don't howl they squeal, whine sign of wheel bearing, maybe due to extra force while braking.
this is new too me,hmm.im used to hj60 landcruiser and if the bearings go they just grind then boom..im trying to test it to see when it only happens and so far it is down hill and around 80k`s and a bit of pressure on pedal as well.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
How's the power steering pump, does it have correct amount of fluid? Also could be your ABS pump. Another thing is back axle. Sticky brake calliper pins. These are some things I read about the noise.

crelok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
How's the power steering pump, does it have correct amount of fluid? Also could be your ABS pump. Another thing is back axle. Sticky brake calliper pins. These are some things I read about the noise.

the PS level was above what it was supposed too,in the hot section when it was cold,so i fixed that.but i just noticed the auto trans level is way high,like way above the hot reading and its cold.Dunno if that is it but that needs attention now.I`ll check those other things.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
What type of rotors did you install? Slotted rotors can sometimes make a noise like you have described.