Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisey Idle

koztek55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 5.7 6spd
hey guys, i know this issue has probably been done to death.
i have a noisey idle on my vx ss II that sounds like lifters or piston slap, just had the car serviced and serpentine belt replaced at holden the other day. they said the engine seems very well looked after.

lastnight i had it warming up as i was leaving oakleigh, and a guy was walking past that happened to be a mechanic said that it sounds like a noisey idler bearing and that he's replaced stacks with that problem...

has anyone heard of this being a cause for noisey idle at all, and by idler bearing is he reffering to the idler pulley??

any info would be much appreciated.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
hey guys, i know this issue has probably been done to death.
i have a noisey idle on my vx ss II that sounds like lifters or piston slap, just had the car serviced and serpentine belt replaced at holden the other day. they said the engine seems very well looked after.

lastnight i had it warming up as i was leaving oakleigh, and a guy was walking past that happened to be a mechanic said that it sounds like a noisey idler bearing and that he's replaced stacks with that problem...

has anyone heard of this being a cause for noisey idle at all, and by idler bearing is he reffering to the idler pulley??

any info would be much appreciated.
just hope it aint this >>>
yeah it'll be the flywheel, whats happining is at idel in low revs, it has les g forses on it so it can rattle all it wants, once you start moving it gets force (think the gravitron you used to ride at the show) and so you cant hear it, i actually replaced my whole engine because i though i rooted a crank bearing sleave, and then found out it was the flywheel, either that or your converter bolts are loose

what you wanna do is jack the car, throw it on stands, and take off the inspection cover thats kinda in between the auto and the engine, its alot of bolts and ive found undoing the steering rack (2 19mm nut/botls) makes it easier, now their are three bolt holding the converter to the flywheel/drive plate whatever you want to ccall it. get some one to spin the crank (using a 24mm socket and a bit of musle) and check all three bolts if all are tight then you may have to check the actual flywheel, which requires undoing the drive shaft from diff, removing centre bearing holder then sliding out the tail shaft from the auto, make sure you catch the oil, undoing the tranny from the block and corss members and sliding it back,

look a 2nd hand flywheel cost me 40 bucks but i still changed the motor over anyway. get some proffesional opinions but keep an open mind, this has happended to alot of people

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
With the car running stick a long screw driver on the idler pulley hex bolt an put your ear to the other end an you will hear if it is stuffed.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
if its a tick tick tick its lifters there not stuck there just cheap s##t lifters why put premo ones in when people wan`t the new price of the car to be cheap if it bothers you get some iskys ones or summin., for piston slap check the inside of the drivers door frame there should be a sticker near the door hinges saying recall completion or something, then you know its been done.