Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisey Rockers

5speedvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I had a set of 1.98 rockers and crow pushrods fitted to my vx about 2 weeks ago and they are still ticking and making abit of noise 2000klms after being installed... any ideas why or haw to stop it? oh and they gave the car a MASSIVE improvement!!!!! but the noise sucks!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Could be the lifters or an oil pressure problem. Then again it could be the normal Ecotec tick. Hard to say without hearing it.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Are you sure it isn't the lifters? Try using a slightly thicker oil and see if they helps?

5speedvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
yeah it could use an oil change, ill do that on the weekend and see how I go.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
Did you have to change the rocker covers for them? I was told the factory covers where not tall enough for that ratio rockers. Maybe they are slightly hitting the top of the cover. Try the thicker oil and if its still happening remover one of the covers and see if they where hitting.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Is the rockers and push rods the only mod to the motor and is it a big improvement?

NitroAl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX box of bolts
When I did mine some time ago the lifters had jammed in or close to there assembled state of compression! When the factory assembled these engines originally they relied on the lifters to compensate for mass production tollerences leaving the some engines with the lifters compressed to almost 1/3 of the pistons stroke.

With 250k on the clock my engine was not so fresh out of the oven so the oil that settled in the tops of the lifters had plenty of opportunity to build up a nasty layer of crap on the cylinder walls stoping the lifter extending to its correct length! I tried cleaning them and blowing them out but I found that they still jammed in the top end and the spring had also settled to some extent! With my high ratio rockers and push rods fitted I could almost remove the push rod there was so much clearence!

New lifters fitted, problem solved!

As a side note, I didn't have the funds for new lifters on the day so I had to reassemble the stock rockers and lifters and noticed an improvement in performance just from degumming the lifters with another small improvement after fitting new lifters and the HR rockers! The new lifters I fitted were aftermarket ones from repco, I don't recomend these lifters! They bleed down when the car is parked for any period of time and one of them bleeds down when running! I hav a god awful rattle on start up that peeves me right off!

Never underestimate the importance of good lifters in good working order!

Go genuine or get the ones from mace and you will never look back!

Last edited:

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I had a similar problem on my VX when the 1.9: rockers were fitted , I had to have the Crow push rods sent out as there was a monumental tick , due to scuffing on the castings on head wall , but as you already have them I would guess that it could be a lifter issue . Have you checked the torque settings ? From memory they are 23 lbs torque for the bolts .

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Was the engine rotated for each rocker to ensure that the cam was on the base circle for the rocker you are doing up? Otherwise the rocker won't be torqued own properly.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Was the engine rotated for each rocker to ensure that the cam was on the base circle for the rocker you are doing up? Otherwise the rocker won't be torqued own properly.

Another way of wording it, did you rotate the engine to top dead center when installing each rocker?