Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisey T56

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Hi all.
I have a 04 Clubsport T56 and latley i have noticed the box is very Noisey when warmed up. Not you usual Thrust/Spigot noise (yes that was there before too).
I can only assume the Noise seems to be from bearing/s inside, because after you press the clutch in and select 1st the Thrust Noise disapears, But the other (bearing type noise is still present)
i can also hear it from outside the vehicle when eng temp is normal. I thought it may have been the Fans and A/C but it still doing it without those either being on. Some 1500km ago i droppped the old
auto Spec oil and replaced with the penrite Syn 70-75 Specified by Tremec/Penrite. Also when going slow and pressing clutch in, there is a clunk type noise as well as a slight whine. If you go fast enough to change, it doesnt appear.
Is this a symptom of bearings too? Clutch seems fine ( a bit hard to select 1st sometimes), Changes smoothly, no leaks. It has 200,125km.
I dont give i a hard time.

Can someone confirm what this noise's are and will it lockup or some crazy sh** when im driving it?

Cheers.

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
As your up in QLD, give this mob a buzz or look up his web site.

Cheers mate,they,ll probably answer all you need to know, dont forget to post up anything that might also help the rest of us out,if we suffer similar problems down the track

Mal Wood Automotive
42 Lyons Street
Warwick QLD(07) 4661 3548
malwoodauto.com.au

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Thanks CONROD.

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
I just rang Mal Wood and spoke to Anthony.
Told him what its doin:
From what he said, "Once the bearings start to get noisy its bascially all over for the box (not the typical Spigot/Clutch out Noise). If you continue to drive it like that it will get worse by stripping and smashing the whole box internally, gears bearings syncro's...... the lot. All this has come from holden and how they set these up. Holden use a Neddle type roller thrust/spigot bearing which under load or high RPM Grabs the Input shaft abrutly and basically destroys itself from there. We use a different type of Spigot Bearing that will not do this under any circumstance".
Drive In/ Drive out: Exhange basis only $2800 for the Box, $1515 for the option 3 Clutch kit "single mass billet flywheel, new bolts, Slave Cyl, ETC (they dont reccomend anything other- not sure what the clutch composition is) and Remove/Replace for the T56 is $280. It takes them about a day and they have exchange boxes all ready to go with Upgraded New Bearings, Synchro's, Slave Cylinder, Gears etc etc. Assuming Price ex GST.

Hmmm Just a tad over $5 GRAND

Something like it from ebay: MAL Wood Road Race 6 Speed T56 LS1 LS2 HSV | eBay

Here is the Spigot that causes the dramas: Holden Commodore VT VU VX VY VZ 5 7L V8 GEN 3 LS1 Spigot Bearing T56 Gearbox | eBay

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Blood hell who,s got $5000 sitting around.
Give this mob a buzz mate, they are in Sydney and see if they give you the same diagnosis
Smithfield Diff and Gear.
www.diffand gear.com.au
Address
83 Market St
Smithfield NSW 2164
Ph 02 9604 8887

I was reading this on a forum re; the T56 in Vipers;;;

Re: Noisy Tremec T56 Anyone have this problem?

good info boosted, I think I will try the mopar reccomended trans fluid and see if that helps. I have an ATF type fluid in there now so it should help with the noise. My trans was purchased in 01' from D&D so I will try to look for a date just in case it is a pre 99 trans

http://www.viperclub.org/howto/faqs/...in-neutral.php

TSB# NO: 21-06-98
*PARTS REQUIRED:**

4 of #04874459 Transmission Lubricant, SAE 75W (MS-9070)(Quart)
1 of #04275086 Label, Authorized Modification

M/T - Gear Noise Explanation

NO: 21-06-98

GROUP: Transmission

DATE: Apr. 3, 1998

SUBJECT:
Neutral Gear Rattle With Clutch Engaged

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 06-01-97 DATED MARCH 14, 1997, WHICH SHOULD BE NOTED IN THE 1997 TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-699-98004). THE PARTS AND REPAIR PROCEDURE HAVE BEEN CHANGED. ALL CHANGES ARE MARKED WITH **ASTERISKS**.

**MODELS:**
1994 - 1998 (SR) Viper

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

A light chatter or rattling noise from the clutch housing or transmission area with the clutch engaged and the transmission in neutral. The noise will diminish with the clutch disengaged.

Clearances in the transmission gear teeth are incorporated into the design for component durability. There will always be a slight amount of gear mesh noise. No attempts should be made to disassemble the transmission for this condition.
WARNING :NO ATTEMPTS SHOULD BE MADE TO TIGHTEN THE CLEARANCES BETWEEN THE TRANSMISSION INTERNAL COMPONENTS.

NOTE : WHILE THIS REPAIR IS HELPFUL IN REDUCING NEUTRAL GEAR RATTLE, IT WILL NOT ELIMINATE IT. IN ADDITION, THE NEW FLUID WILL CAUSE SOME INCREASED SHIFTING EFFORT AT 20°F AND BELOW. THIS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL THE TRANSMISSION REACHES NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURES. PLEASE INFORM THE OWNER OF THIS POSSIBLE CONDITION BEFORE BEGINNING THE REPAIR.

**DIAGNOSIS:**

Road test the vehicle to warm the vehicle powertrain. Drive in 3rd to 5th gear to help bring the transmission to operating temperatures. Stop the vehicle and apply the parking brake. With the transmission in neutral and the engine running at idle, depress and release the clutch pedal. Listen for a chatter or rattling noise whenever the clutch pedal is released. If the noise is diminished when the clutch is depressed, proceed to the Repair Procedure.

*PARTS REQUIRED:**

4 of #04874459 Transmission Lubricant, SAE 75W (MS-9070) (Quart)
1 of #04275086 Label, Authorized Modification

**REPAIR PROCEDURE:**

This bulletin involves draining the transmission fluid and replacing it with a new lubricant.

1. Drain the transmission fluid by following the procedure in the Viper Service Manual (Publication 81-270-7150) page 21-3.

2. Type the necessary information into the Authorized Modification Label and attach the label near the VECI label.

POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:

**Labor Operation No: 21-00-10-95 0.4 Hrs.**

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
If you're getting noise with the clutch depressed and gear selected it's a spigot bearing or clutch thrust bearing issue (nothing in the gearbox is turning under this condition). New clutch kit would most likely fix it, as long as the spigot hasn't chewed up the input shaft. I'd just go a new OEM clutch kit for around $600 + fitting, they're fine for normal driving. Mine has 218,000 km on the original clutch and it's still got plenty of bite.

The rattle in neutral with clutch out isn't thrust/spigot, it's the unloaded gears rattling around (normal and harmless). Hope you get sorted without having to replace the box.