Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisey Tappit or lifter in VX 2002 Calais Supercharged

Toolman 46

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 2002 series 2 Supercharged
Can someone please help me diagnose properly what's going on in my Calais, sometimes when I start it makes a noise like a loud tapping but when it reaches temp it goes, doesn't do it all the time when I start it, usually it will do it when I haven't started it for 2-3 days , ruled out electrics, please help as it's getting really annoying

Doubleyewhaych

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L LSJuan
I'd suggest it's a faulty lifter. My Caprice does the same thing. They are pretty easy to fix if you're handy on the tools.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Depending on your km and how often you service could be the reason for them becoming noticeably louder on start up, also oil level, km on the oil etc. Cold weather starts also until the oils circulated after 30 sec or so. If you don't service often any components allowing oil flow can be affected. If it continues consistently its not a good idea to keep driving. Some people add engine flush additive before a oil change to assist clogging, l choose to change regularly and put a quality oil.

Toolman 46

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 2002 series 2 Supercharged
Depending on your km and how often you service could be the reason for them becoming noticeably louder on start up, also oil level, km on the oil etc. Cold weather starts also until the oils circulated after 30 sec or so. If you don't service often any components allowing oil flow can be affected. If it continues consistently its not a good idea to keep driving. Some people add engine flush additive before a oil change to assist clogging, l choose to change regularly and put a quality oil.
Thanks , I service it regularly with filter every time , use Penrite oil, it's only done 180 000 kms for a 2002 model one owner before me, it doesn't just make the tapping noise on cold starts , sometimes it could be when it's been only sitting for 30-60 mins, it also makes a noise like a gasket might have blown combined with the tapping noise but it's not always, but as always after about 5 mins or when it comes up to temp it runs fine, got a full gasket kit to put through it and have a mechanic lined up to do that and now to check out the lifters etc

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Thanks , I service it regularly with filter every time , use Penrite oil, it's only done 180 000 kms for a 2002 model one owner before me, it doesn't just make the tapping noise on cold starts , sometimes it could be when it's been only sitting for 30-60 mins, it also makes a noise like a gasket might have blown combined with the tapping noise but it's not always, but as always after about 5 mins or when it comes up to temp it runs fine, got a full gasket kit to put through it and have a mechanic lined up to do that and now to check out the lifters etc
Penrite oil can highlight lifter/ rocker noise in my experience using hpr 30 mineral also hpr 10 full syn morsoe. I could actually hear the oil running back into the sump after switch off. So l changed brand after 10 years as a loyal customer. Havent changed back...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Penrite oil can highlight lifter/ rocker noise in my experience using hpr 30 mineral also hpr 10 full syn morsoe. I could actually hear the oil running back into the sump after switch off. So l changed brand after 10 years as a loyal customer. Havent changed back...
what oil you using now?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Intake gaskets are common fault on the L67/ecotec engines. Not a major job.

The problem may not be the lifters but instead the push rods/rockers. I've pulled a few apart and fairly much always find worn push rods in the rocker cups. I believe this to be a problem because with roller type followers the push rods don't spin. Our L67 was getting noisy, I fitted new rockers/push rods and she's quiet as a mouse again.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@immortality would this be the same case with the Buick? Rockers I mean.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not so much as they use a stamped steel rocker. It's crazy really seeing a steel push rod that has the end worn off after sitting in a alloy rocker for ~200,000km, I would have thought the alloy would go first. I'm using hardened push rods now.